• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ford Truck Engines

Not to mention many inline 6 have 7 main bearings.
The last version of the inline 6 (4.9L, 300 cu. in) was configured for UPS which routinely ran them for 300K miles.

Ford intentionally "choked" them down for UPS. The intake ports on the heads are smaller than the manifolds. You can substantially increase the HP by dremeling the heads to match the manifolds.

The late model I-6 had exhaust manifolds that are essentially headers. Two three cylinder manifolds.
i-6 lasts so long because it is naturally balanced, minimum wear on the bearings, connecting rods and cylinder walls.

I-6 supposedly has more torque than the same period 5.0 V-8. Internet rumor is that the I-6 (4.9L) is actually the same size as the 5.0 V-8, but Ford didn't want to be selling a 6 cylinder with more torque at 500 less RPM.

Common easy hop-up for the 4.9 I-6 is to swap in domed pistons from a 350 CI, 4.7L V8. Pistons are an exact fit.

Big bucks hop up is an Offenhauser manifold for 3 2 barrel carbs.

Made in Oz until 2016, and a popular racing engine.

The 5.0L V8 is solid. For sheer longevity, I’d put my money there. The diesel is new and unproven and while the Ecoboosts have mostly been sorted, they’re simply more complicated designs.
I do recon for a local used car lot and have done 5 head jobs on those turds. Year models from 2011 to 2015 are eating intake valves down to knife edge and losing compression at 80-125k. It's a crappy, soft intake valve material, no guide or seat issues. No other engine issues, but it's a notable problem if we've seen 5 with valves wiped out in the past 2 years.

06981980-E8AF-4087-B8FB-63FE73AE42F9.jpeg

My 5.0L, true beast, had no problems with it... ( pic is from getting exhaust put on it) love it..

I just bought a 5.0 coyote to replace my 6.7 diesel. I intended to buy a 3.5 ecoboost but that deal got all messed up and then I found this 5.0.

I would prefer the EB but I couldn’t find one setup the way I wanted and found the coyote set up the way I wanted for stupid cheap.

The ford V8 with a mild muffler ( an upgrade but not to aggressive ) is the best sounding V8 ever created. Often imitated but never replicated. That in itself is the sole reason for the V8. Go with the 5.0 and never look back, just roll down the windows and enjoy that late model muscle sound. So good, so good! That Coyote is suppose to be the bees knees. 7,000 RPM of 460 HP and 425 ftlb torque. That's impressive for a right at 300 cubic inches.

I just bought a 5.0 coyote to replace my 6.7 diesel. I intended to buy a 3.5 ecoboost but that deal got all messed up and then I found this 5.0.

I would prefer the EB but I couldn’t find one setup the way I wanted and found the coyote set up the way I wanted for stupid cheap.
Pic!

It seems V8s are here to stay, GM has been gettting good mileage and service out of them for years. With that being said I drive a Ford V8 myself and my brother-in-law had an ecoboost but traded it in on V8 F150. He said the V8 sounds a lot better than the other two motors. :)

I had a 2002 Trans Am Ram Air and at 8000 miles I yanked the engine and put some kick ass heads, a big honking cam, chrome moly pushrods, double valve springs, titanium rockers and roller rockers. Kooks stainless headers and HP cats and 3 inch stainless exhaust all the way back with a electric cut out. To top it off a nice 120 HP shot of nitrous. Dropped it 2 inches with BMR suspension all the way around with SLP sub frame connectors and topped it off with a set of Bilsteins. I had a astray switch plate for the nitrous, purge solenoid and electric bottle opener and electric cut out. From the outside it looked like a stock T/A with a 2 inch drop and with the ash tray door closed a bone stock interior. Pushing over 450 to the rear wheels and right at 600 when I hit the N02 switch. I tuned myslef with HP tuners and I had the diagnostic suite as well. That bastard would smoke the new vetts all but the ZR1. Shamed many a vette owner and did it all getting 24 miles to the gallon and that's no bull. I built my friends basically the same way and he got the same mileage. Just a shade under 20 in town if you could keep you foot out of it. These new V8's get stupid mileage for being V8's, it's crazy and do it packing some power.

Back
Top Bottom