• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ford Truck Engines

How much are you usually towing out of curiosity? First time I noticed the difference was picking it up from the dealer and went around a downhill corner, definitely had more body roll than our previous steel body. Towing, we try to bias it SLIGHTLY towards the tongue, seems to help keep the ass end planted without sacrificing steering and braking stability. Maybe we need to experiment more if you're having good results.

Which leads me to this if any of you guys haven't seen it. It's a pretty nice hitch with built in scale, makes it easier to judge positioning of stuff. Not sure if there are other brands similar but it's nice to have.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&tag=rvlifenetwork-20&linkId=MJY3LYZG5YDK3ZH3

I’m at about 3k empty.....

From my dealership experience, the 5.0 V8 has plenty of power, less complicated engine, and is port injected. All better things IMO

My 94 f150 with the 6cylinder is one trip to the dump from hitting 300k. Been a great truck, I wish I had bought two of them.

Best truck engine Ford ever made.

I'd give anything to be able to get a new one.

I'm not getting "turbo" anything. Same problem as "hybrids" - when the turbo/battery goes tits up, you're in for big bucks.

I think this pretty normal for the inline 6

The last version of the inline 6 (4.9L, 300 cu. in) was configured for UPS which routinely ran them for 300K miles.

Ford intentionally "choked" them down for UPS. The intake ports on the heads are smaller than the manifolds. You can substantially increase the HP by dremeling the heads to match the manifolds.

The late model I-6 had exhaust manifolds that are essentially headers. Two three cylinder manifolds.
i-6 lasts so long because it is naturally balanced, minimum wear on the bearings, connecting rods and cylinder walls.

I-6 supposedly has more torque than the same period 5.0 V-8. Internet rumor is that the I-6 (4.9L) is actually the same size as the 5.0 V-8, but Ford didn't want to be selling a 6 cylinder with more torque at 500 less RPM.

Common easy hop-up for the 4.9 I-6 is to swap in domed pistons from a 350 CI, 4.7L V8. Pistons are an exact fit.

Big bucks hop up is an Offenhauser manifold for 3 2 barrel carbs.

Made in Oz until 2016, and a popular racing engine.

Back
Top Bottom