• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GA man arrested in NY w firearms, he's screwed

I have to disagree a little bit. If government makes an unconstitutional law and we, as a free people, choose not to follow that unconstitutional law, then there should be no "you must pay the price". The NY government has broken the law by infringing illegally on the freedom of American citizens. It is they that should "pay the price" not American citizens. By saying that the law is the law, whether unconstitutional or not, and having the expectation of citizens obeying said law (even if it is unconstitutional) just because it is the law is the wrong answer. Its thinking like that that allows these criminal asshats to get away with passing these crap laws. Instead of saying, he knew so he gets what he gets we should take every opportunity to ignore said law and fight in court every chance we get. This guy wasnt open carrying. Didn't have the pistols on him even. He was committing no crime besides maybe staying too long in a parking area. This is a great opportunity to challenge the illegal action of the NY government in court.
I admire your passion (sincerely), but since I'm guessing you don't go around violating laws you deem unconstitutional on the hopes of making it to the SCOTUS, your furor rings a bit hallow, even if true. The United States of America will not get back to a Constitutional Republic without a civil war. It's a simple truth and one I don't ever seeing come to pass. We have "evolved"... I think they call it "progressed" beyond the naivety of the founders (yes that is sarcasm). We all have different levels of infringement we find 'acceptable'. It will continue to slide towards more infringement until the concept of a Constitutional Republic will simply be something of history (NOT taught).
If your lamentation is simply we shouldn't rag on the kid for breaking another state's gun law, particularly a state with such a stellar history of enforcing their idiocy on out of state residents... well..... that's a tough one to sell.

What do you mean? Are you saying that the government of NY should be held to a different unconstitutional standard than the rest of America because they are different there? If that's what you mean then I heartily disagree. NY is still in America. We shouldn't allow them or California, or any other place ruled by our constitution to ignore the law of the land.

Judging by your non response I will take that as a No...

So I have, born in NY in Aug 1963. You can’t purchase a pistol in NYS without a Pistol Permit. The pistol permit has to list the make and model of the pistol. This does not allow you to carry concealed either.

Also all that I have said and throw it out the window.. It is not valid for NYC or the 5 Burroughs that make up NYC. Its been that way since I was born.

You can act outraged or disagree... but it’s still a felony....

Edited to add you can’t buy pistol ammo in NYS without a pistol permit... see the conundrum?

My dad was 55 when he applied for his pistol permit. You needed 3 references one had to be a clergy member....

So if any body had more than 3 pistols you were in high cotton...

Down here no self respecting southerner would consider only having 3 pistols.
I know consider myself one since I have lived 2/3rds of my life below the Mason-Dixon Line....

So I have, born in Aug 1963. You can’t purchase a pistol in NYS without a Pistol Permit. The pistol permit has to list the make and model of the pistol. This does not allow you to carry concealed either.

Also all that I have said is not valid for NYC or the 5 Burroughs that make up NYC. Its been that way since I was born.

Back in 1978 I remember living in Queens and having to get a rifle permit at 18.

I had to drive to a Gun Store in Nassau County on Long Island to buy a Ruger Mini-14 and then a Mossberg 500ATPS

I don't think I'd ever be able to get a pistol permit.

Fast Forward to KY in 1979 when stationed at Ft Knox I had to be 21 to buy a pistol no permit. Go figure.

2018 that Ruger is probably banned because it takes a 30 round magazine. Maybe they would allow me to have it with the 5 round magazine but don't get caught with anything hi capacity!

One of many reasons I live here now.

Back in 1978 I remember living in Queens and having to get a rifle permit at 18.

I had to drive to a Gun Store in Nassau County on Long Island to buy a Ruger Mini-14 and then a Mossberg 500ATPS

I don't think I'd ever be able to get a pistol permit.

Fast Forward to KY in 1979 when stationed at Ft Knox I had to be 21 to buy a pistol no permit. Go figure.

2018 that Ruger is probably banned because it takes a 30 round magazine. Maybe they would allow me to have it with the 5 round magazine but don't get caught with anything hi capacity!

One of many reasons I live here now.

Ditto... moved here in 91 after 4 Years in Columbia SC....

Still have land in Upstate NY fly into Syracuse or Scranton to hunt up there. Leave the pistols in GA. Take long Guns for deer, or O/U For grouse and Pheasant..

I admire your passion (sincerely), but since I'm guessing you don't go around violating laws you deem unconstitutional on the hopes of making it to the SCOTUS, your furor rings a bit hallow, even if true. The United States of America will not get back to a Constitutional Republic without a civil war. It's a simple truth and one I don't ever seeing come to pass. We have "evolved"... I think they call it "progressed" beyond the naivety of the founders (yes that is sarcasm). We all have different levels of infringement we find 'acceptable'. It will continue to slide towards more infringement until the concept of a Constitutional Republic will simply be something of history (NOT taught).
If your lamentation is simply we shouldn't rag on the kid for breaking another state's gun law, particularly a state with such a stellar history of enforcing their idiocy on out of state residents... well..... that's a tough one to sell.

I choose not to live in a place where I have to. We should take every opportunity presented to us to fight laws like this and the people that make them and I think this case would be a good opportunity. If it gets to the point where I have to flout the law to exercise my God given (not government granted) rights than that's exactly what I will do. That's what we all should do as they cannot enforce a law that everyone ignores. They don't have the resources. The only things that continue are what we allow to continue. People buckling and accepting through fear is what puts us in the position where an American can have their freedom stolen for having 2 pistols in their car. If you are making fun of the kid instead of being outraged at the injustice just maybe it is that type of thinking that makes you part of the problem instead of the solution. Maybe it's time to reavaluate how we are thinking and reorient. I really dont mean any offense by any of this. Just believe a lot of us have fallen into a complacent acceptance of things we should never allow and this thread has done a good job of pointing that out.

So I have, born in NY in Aug 1963. You can’t purchase a pistol in NYS without a Pistol Permit. The pistol permit has to list the make and model of the pistol. This does not allow you to carry concealed either.

Also all that I have said and throw it out the window.. It is not valid for NYC or the 5 Burroughs that make up NYC. Its been that way since I was born.

Edited to add you can’t buy pistol ammo in NYS without a pistol permit... see the conundrum?

My dad was 55 when he applied for his pistol permit. You needed 3 references one had to be a clergy member....

So if any body had more than 3 pistols you were in high cotton...

Down here no self respecting southerner would consider only having 3 pistols.
I know consider myself one since I have lived 2/3rds of my life below the Mason-Dixon Line....

You're pointing out all these facts as if they are things we should just accept because that's the way they are. Does it not make you angry what those people have done and your fellow New Yorkers have allowed to happen in what is supposed to be a country based on constitutional freedom? If it doesnt it should.

Still have land in Binghamton NY. Was Shotgun only until last year, buckshot is illegal. Slugs only.. No flatland View attachment 1658812 View attachment 1658813 View attachment 1658814 View attachment 1658815 warm weather hunting up there....!
Now that's a buck. Deer get so much bigger up north. I heard of a program where they have introduced bigger dear into the wild somewhere down next the race track. I wish they would set out some kind of salt lick steroid bars for the bucks. LOL When I go up to the Mts. trout fishing, I always stop and get a big bag of dear corn and feed the dear in the gated community. I draw in some bucks but damn they look anorexic. I mean they are healthy but just tiny compared to the dear I use to hunt. That's why I don't deer hunt anymore. I would feel guilty always thinking I was killing a young deer knowing it's just how it is here. I will hunt in Virginia when I go back. I been hunting a big thick drop tine for years. My uncle and cousin says he is still there. They live about a mile off the Blue Ridge Parkway and I have to pass there house to get to the hunting grounds. This sucker is huge. I will only harvest a true trophy anymore. I could kill one and give to my uncle but I don't like to kill for hell of it. Just isn't right. My family won't eat the meat.

You're pointing out all these facts as if they are things we should just accept because that's the way they are. Does it not make you angry what those people have done and your fellow New Yorkers have allowed to happen in what is supposed to be a country based on constitutional freedom? If it doesnt it should.

Well you have to accept them they are laws.... I don't live there anymore. That's Choice...

Well you have to accept them they are laws.... I don't live there anymore. That's Choice...

"Have to accept them they are laws"? Wow. We have gotten to the point we are willing to roll over and accept the government in the US fundamentally changing our society from the values of individual liberty laid out in our founding documents? Even here among this crowd? That's sad. Apathy and laziness are killing our hopes to rectify what we have allowed to happen in this country more than anything else. The enemy isnt our government, muslims, the federal reserve, or any other entity besides our own mistakes.

What should happen is one of the 2nd amendment organizations we all most likely/should belong to and donate money to support should take this case and we as responsible citizens should all kick in $20 for his defense to help this case get to the supreme court with the goal of keeping the government in check and advancing the case of individual liberty instead of accepting unconstitutional tyranny.

But that's not happening. No. Instead we are sitting back and mocking the young man for daring to ignore an unconstitutional law regarding our 2nd amendment while stating the law is the law and right or wrong it is the law and should be followed. Shame on us. When did we pack up our balls and hand them over to our elected officials? Out of all the things that have gone on in recent years this thread has done more than any of it to destroy my hopes we can come together and make our country what is was created as and should be.

I was asked earlier if I would ignore a law like that. I, of course, said I would. I dont think many on here would march down to the police station and turn in their guns if they enacted such laws here. Unless all that "boating accident" talk is internet bs. I like to think if any of us were caught doing so we could count on the patriotic community and organizations for support just like we should be supporting the young man in question. I would be shocked to find myself in this man's shoes here and instead of support I received disdain and was mocked. Shame on us.

"Have to accept them they are laws"? Wow. We have gotten to the point we are willing to roll over and accept the government in the US fundamentally changing our society from the values of individual liberty laid out in our founding documents? Even here among this crowd? That's sad. Apathy and laziness are killing our hopes to rectify what we have allowed to happen in this country more than anything else. The enemy isnt our government, muslims, the federal reserve, or any other entity besides our own mistakes.

What should happen is one of the 2nd amendment organizations we all most likely/should belong to and donate money to support should take this case and we as responsible citizens should all kick in $20 for his defense to help this case get to the supreme court with the goal of keeping the government in check and advancing the case of individual liberty instead of accepting unconstitutional tyranny.

But that's not happening. No. Instead we are sitting back and mocking the young man for daring to ignore an unconstitutional law regarding our 2nd amendment while stating the law is the law and right or wrong it is the law and should be followed. Shame on us. When did we pack up our balls and hand them over to our elected officials? Out of all the things that have gone on in recent years this thread has done more than any of it to destroy my hopes we can come together and make our country what is was created as and should be.

I was asked earlier if I would ignore a law like that. I, of course, said I would. I dont think many on here would march down to the police station and turn in their guns if they enacted such laws here. Unless all that "boating accident" talk is internet bs. I like to think if any of us were caught doing so we could count on the patriotic community and organizations for support just like we should be supporting the young man in question. I would be shocked to find myself in this man's shoes here and instead of support I received disdain and was mocked. Shame on us.

You are clueless..

Back
Top Bottom