• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ga new title tax law hurts so good...

Poor people don't buy $25K+ cars. They buy $500+ cars. A 1990's Accord will be under $200 typically for TAVT. If that "breaks the bank" compared to the devalued car from now having a bad transmission, something is wrong....

so you like the new system? ga is collecting more revenue now...
i.e.,you are paying more in taxes...theres no two ways about it.

Well see that's what we used to do back before I moved down here. Some folks refer to it as car flipping. Lots of people do it. I'm not gonna make excuses or get into the debate about being an unlicensed car dealer again. We never tried to be shady about anything and we backed up the cars we sold better than any buy here pay here lot. You do what you know and what you're good at. I know used cars and trucks. My former landlord and partner knows real estate. So flipping cars was more of a lucrative hobby for him. Anyway I'm fairly certain that when the state changed the law it was aimed straight at people like us.. And I'm also pretty certain the the GA Auto Dealers Association was behind the change.

I'd agree 100%. Personally don't see a problem with it; at the end of the day, regardless of where you buy a car (or anything else from), you should do your due diligence as a buyer. I'm sure if someone did some digging into which Reps and Senators authored the bill, you'd find some lobbyist connections. Gotta love big government!

It does workout better if you have a good car. But it doesn't matter what the condition of the vehicle is to the state. They just take the NADA Clean Retail amount which is the highest amount and charge 7% of that. The car might be a complete beater that you bought for $500.00. But the state does NOT take that into consideration. They just want their cut of a value that's intended for a showroom condition vehicle.

Which worked out in my case. I think they had the Hummer marked at 10500 or 11500 and they tend to hover in the 13-16 range on private and dealership sales. I'd have to find my paperwork but whatever the number, their valuation was below current market value. Not that I'm complaining. Previous car they had valued at $600 and I bought it for $2000 and sold it for $1600. And I believe my stepfather's new F-150 is valued at 36000 on paper, but he payed a hell of a lot more than that for it.

What? Its been in effect for a couple years now. Do people live under a rock?

Also, you can buy a Jaguar (that will probably cost thousands to maintain) but cannot afford TAVT????

Fail

Heard about it when I went. She (the clerk) asked me if I knew how much it would be, and I said yes, and she says people come in all the time and end up either cursing them out or crying because the amount is much higher than they expected. Almost daily, and this is in Troup County which isn't the largest county in the State by any means. I looked it up online prior to going in so I knew the deal. I doubt most people bother to check, when they really should check before they even purchase the vehicle.

Must pay the tax they demand first, the fill out the appeal... note on there that the tax they have generated is for clean retail and that the car you purchased is a real piece of **** and that there is no way it will ever see that value!

Must pay the tax they demand first, the fill out the appeal... note on there that the tax they have generated is for clean retail and that the car you purchased is a real piece of **** and that there is no way it will ever see that value!

the car i purchased was a real pos. didnt run,needed a distributor
timing kit,axles,battery,paint and body...even sewed up new visors
and installed a new radio,etc.

another thing that ticks me off and this new tax caters to it,
is the push to get older cars off the road.

probably gonna think twice before buying another vehicle
with the intention of titling it.

just another reason for me to move to alabama.
bummed out.

anyone else sick of this shakedown? i recently purchased a little civic
not running for about what i had to pay to have the title transferred
in my name. jawgee values it above what it sells for on the open
market and way above NADA and KBB.

my question to you is : have you appealed your auto tax? and if so,
was it worth it to you?

thanks.

Wife received a vehicle through a death in the family. I Took $500 to get a tag and they wanted $760... I paid the $760 and appealed the value same day (5 min).

The county reimbursed me $700 2 weeks later. Yes it was worth it to me.

I did have to sign a paper that said I will not appeal anything to do with taxes for that year though.... I guess if you buy and sell cars it wouldn't work but that one time maybe?

Last edited:
I believe if the car was a family members you can choose to keep the old tax or go with the new tax law. My situation was due to my fathers passing. It was better for me to keep the old advolurm tax.

Not sure how y'all are doing this. I go to the tax assessors office with whatever it takes to prove value. IE, bill of sale, condition of the car etc. They right the new evaluation, then I go to the tag office and buy the tag by that evaluation. A couple of years back I signed a car over to my son....he didn't have to pay the tax as it was a family car. When he went to by the tag they originally tried to charge him, he told them that I had already talked with them and that he didn't owe it. A few minutes later they agreed with him.

I bought my truck for about 7 grand less than what they valued it at. I told them I had paperwork and proof I paid less than they value it at. I told them I wanted to appeal first,then pay because if I have them money in wouldn't get it back.

They sent me to the head hancho office who looked over my paperwork and signed off on the lower value.

Bought my wife's car out of state with blank value on signed bill of sale. I called tag office to find out the approximate tax,then took it by mechanics shop to inspect. Filled in the bill of sale for about 1/3 their value. Appealed and paid after approved.

Each county has procedures for appealing. For those needing repairs,some cities require a shop to write a repair estimate and value letter.

I would appeal first then pay. You may never get it back.

As for tax transfer between family members,there is a form for that and you don't pay tax only tag and title fee I believe.

Basically,if they want money make sure they get the least amount you can give them.

so you like the new system? ga is collecting more revenue now...
i.e.,you are paying more in taxes...theres no two ways about it.
ONLY if you are buying and selling frequently. Yes, I like it. My STI, and wife's RAV4 will be MUCH cheaper in the long run.

I dont get it, you use to pay sales tax AND ad valorem every year. Now, you just pay TAVT and that is it. How is that a bad deal unless you buying outside of a dealer?

Lets say you have a $30K car @ 7%, that is $2,100 in TAVT....and your done.

Old way:

$30K car @ 7% sales tax(Bartow County) + ad valorem:

Lets say the state values your car at that exact $30K too. Now we calculate ad valorem:

30,000 x 0.4 = 12,000, now we calculate the mill rate of 25.88 (Bartow as an example) and divide by 1,000. Take that .02588 and multiply it by 12,000. Your ad valorem would have been $310.56 the first go around

Soooooo....

$2,100 in sales tax + $310.56 when I need to get my tag renewed. Lets say you keep that car 4 years and its value drops 10% each time from its new valuation, that is $1271.77 in addition to the $2,100 in sales tax you would have paid.$3371.77 total.

Yes, I like the new way.

They are getting the money from private sales largely in part because of all the "flippers". This was to help "boost" dealer business by closing the tax "loophole-ish" and making it more appealing to purchase new/used from a dealer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom