• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ga new title tax law hurts so good...

Some good points have been made on the used car market, and I can see how it sucks for that. I buy new cars and drive them for over 10 years. When I first learned about the TAVT, I honestly didn't believe it. If you buy new, they basically swapped sales tax for the TAVT and you're done. I actually bought a new car in 2012 before TAVT was in effect, and I had the option to "opt-in" to the TAVT. I went to the tag office with my dealer paperwork. Since my sales tax amount was the same or more than the TAVT was, I didn't have to pay anything else and now I'm on the TAVT system and NEVER have to pay ad-valorem. Compare that to the ad-valorem I still have to pay on my 2001 vehicle.

One difference is you can't deduct TAVT from your taxes. You used to be able to deduct the sales tax and ad-valorem. You still come out paying far less in TAVT for a new car purchase.
Yes, as long as your itemized deductions exceed your standard. Again though, it's only a 20-25% tax savings off a relatively small amount the old way.

in an AJC article i recently read it stated
that in the first year of the new system,Ga
raked in an extra 70million dollars,that
climbed to an estimated 260million dollars
in its second year. numbers arent out for
2015 yet,but im sure they will be magical.

currently they are taxing 7% of the vehicles
guesstimated value,it started out at 6%,
there is no guarantee it wont climb any higher.

alot of people buy from dealers and maybe
this helps them in some fashion...but when
it comes time to sell alot of those people
that buy new also choose to sell their
car themselves to get a better deal and
when that time comes...they're gonna
find out that their vehicle isn't worth as much
these days.

im super cereal you guys.

i appreciate the feedback. i probably wont pursue
appealing the tax on this vehicle but the next
project car i buy from now on as long as i live
in ga,im going the whole nine yards:BOS,pictures
reciepts,print outs from clist,KBB,NADA and checking
what the state "thinks" its worth before anything.

gonna make due,untill the day comes when i can pack up
and say adios to ga.

Last edited:
When the bill was first passed it capped the tax at 9%. Hasn't gone above 7% in a while. I thought they would jack it up another 1/2 point this last year but instead they increased the gas tax. most politicians like taxes more than Bill Clinton likes head.

Im trying to figure out why an excise tax exists on vehicles in first place

It should simply be a one time sales tax ifyou buy from a dealer

Same as everything else

Its not my concern the gov overspends and cant balance a budget

The car dealers have a better lobby than the individuals that live in the state and elect the crooks.. Look at the last round of tax increases last year . $1 billion dollar including 26 cents more a gallon on gas , now every state around us is cheaper to buy gas in . Even Florida which used to be more . The $5 a night hotel tax is crap as well . They said it only taxes visitors . Well if I visit North Ga, I pay so my last trip was in NC instead . I guess the republicans we elected that used to be democrats showed their true colors . Notice there was nothing about cutting spending just raising taxes .

Back
Top Bottom