• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Got attacked by a dog this morning. What would you have done?

Not getting off. Had similar situations in the past.
My cousin was attacked by a dog when he was 5 years old. Afterwards he had trouble talking and stuttered till he was in his late, late teens.
He still could not talk right when I left Russia. Next time I saw him, he was im his 20s and stuttered only when he got excited.
Cool story. Not sure the relevance or what any of it has to do with what I posted though. But cool story.

Running away when confronted by an aggressive dog is a very bad idea. Doing so boosts their confidence and can trigger Prey Drive. Stand your ground and even advance on the dog in a confident calm manner. If possible provide something other than you for the dog to bite. A stick, a length of rope, etc.... Hold it between your hands and present it horizontally. You can block the dog with it, but they will also often target it because it takes less confidence to bite it than it does to bite you.

As for just kicking the dog's ass, don't be foolishly confident in yourself. Dogs are incredibly strong, fast and resilient. Make no mistake, a determined 35lb dog can probably **** you up at will.

if I go walking / jogging / hiking I carry spray, a gun AND a BAT. dogs understand a bat better than a gun or spray.
I'd argue that the spray works better. I've known dogs that would love nothing more than a bat being swung at them, it would literally make their day, and they would fight you until you managed to knock them unconscious. No dog, absolutely no dog enjoys pepper spray, or is hanging out after you spray them.

That's why it is so important to report and document any instance of misbehavior or wrongdoing by anyone responsible for an animal's behavior. Prior contributing behavior circumstances can go a long way in negating civil suits. If the dog bit me, I'd have my paralegal daughter work up a PI case on the owner then let her bosses take a whack at the owner (and his house, car, job, savings, etc.)

Scum sucking lawyers exist because of people like you and also the reason why umbrella policies are necessary today. I got bit by a neighbors dog when I was 12 or 13. A polite conversation between my dad and the dog's owners is all that was needed. They paid all the medical expenses, I'm not afraid of dog's because of the incident, and everyone got to keep their houses, car's, savings.
Damn you people get sandy vaginas easily.

Got up for my daily 5am run through the neighborhood this morning as usual. As I slowed down and started to walk back to the house a medium-sized black dog that I have never seen before starts barking and charging at me from a house down the street. At first she was a good 25-30 yards away from it so I just continued walking in the opposite direction but she closed that gap in no time. I started to run thinking surely she would stop when I got far enough away from her house but no such luck. By this time I was in a dead sprint and was at least 75-100 yards away from the driveway that she came from. I turned around and she was just a few feet away growling showing her teeth and snapping at me. I realized that I couldn't outrun her and that she was definitely serious about attacking me. Her owner came running out of the house and called her off about two seconds before I was going to put her down. He apologized profusely afterwards and I did my best to be polite but I was not exactly in a good mood. He also said that she bit someone on a landscaping crew recently.

So what's the right thing to do in this situation? Do you have to wait until you actually have teeth marks on you before you do something about it? I'm very thankful that it didn't come to that because I don't want to kill anyone's pet. However I also have a right to run on a public road without being attacked by a vicious dog. Especially one that already has a history of biting people.
Report the incident to animal control ASAP then next time unfortunately put it down. I have a unfriendly dog and if she was to leave my yard and bite someone and they shot her I would understand but that’s me. Don’t get me wrong I would be pissed but I also understand protecting ones self.

I have been bit by dogs before, several times really. Back before leash laws and sue crazy whiner ass libs. Let em pay Dr bills if there are any and inform them the dog just run out of attacks. But call the law

Here's my other advice. Whip out your trouser snake, lift a leg and piss all over the ground in front of you while maintaining eye contact and growling. Congratulations you are now alpha and the dog will bow down to your commands. I've seen this before in downtown Atlanta....not with dogs though. Seemed to work.

Here's my other advice. Whip out your trouser snake, lift a leg and piss all over the ground in front of you while maintaining eye contact and growling. Congratulations you are now alpha and the dog will bow down to your commands. I've seen this before in downtown Atlanta....not with dogs though. Seemed to work.
Best response yet

Honestly I think I'd put it down pretty quickly if it was that aggressive. It had no intention of stopping until the owner came out. Plus nowadays if I am out walking I've got my leashed dog, and sometimes my kids. I wouldn't even hesitate if a dog came at us that aggressively in those cases.

Back
Top Bottom