• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Gun safe rust prevention

Blskypilot

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
15   0
Reaction score
So I went all out and bought a beauty of a safe from @SafeCracka and ever since my struggle to keep things looking good has been crazy. Couple older rifles with thin bluing will turn to rust overnight. Even modern ar / ak variants or hunting rifles develop spots on screws, barrels, etc. Nothing is safe in this safe right now though it does keep the kids away from the guns.

I have the plug in dehumidifier and two of the large canister (500g) I think from midway and I opened it tonight to find a couple spots on the barrel of a like new fvsr.

safe is in the garage - bout ready to knock a wall down and build around it to effectively move it to the interior of the home I’m conditioned space. Is there anything else that works?

Attachments

• B0D55D6B-FFF1-4924-938A-88BC93AAEE3C.jpeg
    B0D55D6B-FFF1-4924-938A-88BC93AAEE3C.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 47
Take the moisture-sucking canisters out of the vault as they fill up with what ? Yup, water.

Maybe you got a dud golden rod ? I'd get 2 and give that a whirl.

How's the door seal ? Are there some holes in the bottom of the safe ? seal them.

I'd personally want the vault 2 inches from the wall and sitting onto a 1x4 for a little air circulation. Good luck

I can feel heat in the safe when I open the door. The rod definitely works. Adding another is no problem. Neither is ditching the desiccant canisters.

Don’t think there’s anything wrong with the seal unless it’s a design issue.

Personally I'd bring that beautiful safe inside into conditioned air.

Mine's in my basement with a dehumidifier running 24/7. Bolted to painted concrete. No issues over the 8 years I've owned it.

Good luck!
Agreed. You need to get it out of the garage and inside the house.

Personally I'd bring that beautiful safe inside into conditioned air.

Mine's in my basement with a dehumidifier running 24/7. Bolted to painted concrete. No issues over the 8 years I've owned it.

Good luck!

I’m down for that idea - as long as I can keep it beautiful. Meaning getting it through two or three doorways. 15 foot move no stairs.

how much ammo I gotta donate at today’s prices to move it

Back
Top Bottom