• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun show loophole???

bxtreme24

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
96   0
Reaction score
Ok so I heard something about a loophole for buying a gun at a gunshow. I heard that someone can go to a gun show and buy a gun without a background check. Is this true? The last time I bought a gun from a gun show without a CCW was about 13 years ago in Florida so I wouldnt know. That just dosent seem right. There are mostly gun stores at the shows so wouldnt that be a violation of there FFL? I have never been one to want more strict gun laws but if thats true then I think it needs to be changed. That would lead to a lot of guns getting into the wrong hands and make our fight for our rights even tougher. Please set me straight on this one.

That also refers to sites like this. It simply means being able to buy from an individual without any paperwork or background check.

Dealers have to do paperwork etc or it is big trouble for them.

The two ways I know of to buy a gun at a gun show without a background check would be #1 have a valid concealed weapons permit and drivers license and # 2 buy from an individual walking around the show carrying his or her own guns at the show.. In the latter instance hopefully the person selling would be smart enough to ask the question. DO YOU HAVE A CARRY PERMIT. That's where the problems are. Some people just don't care. IDIOTS!!!!

Ok. that makes more sence. I thought it was talking about the dealers too. As for an individual sale, I think most of us (at least I do) ask for a CCW and profile who im selling to. After many sales and trades on here and GON I only had to turn away one person. He rolled up in an Impala with huge rims and got out with tatoos up his neck, pants around his knees and reaking of pot. Other than that almost everyone I have encountered has been very standup guys.

Last edited:
Also, a private seller can rent a table and sell a private collection. From the outside looking in, they are dealers, but they are actually of the same status as the guys walking around with a single gun. Can do this a few times. I've done it at the big Eastman show. There was a BATFE booth close to me. They were handing out pamphlets on the law, etc. They sniffed around a few times, but left me alone, because they could tell I was selling my own stuff.

The two ways I know of to buy a gun at a gun show without a background check would be #1 have a valid concealed weapons permit and drivers license and # 2 buy from an individual walking around the show carrying his or her own guns at the show.. In the latter instance hopefully the person selling would be smart enough to ask the question. DO YOU HAVE A CARRY PERMIT. That's where the problems are. Some people just don't care. IDIOTS!!!!

So says you.

the "loophole" that they refer to is what others mention. Basically if you are buying from an individual then there is no background check.

so when someone talks about "closing the gun show loophole" what they really mean is making all gun sales have to go thru an FFL/background check.

Back
Top Bottom