• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help! 2007 bmw 328i wont start after new battery

Slyhall

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
104   0
Reaction score
My nephew's battery went dead so I helped him replace it. Won't start or even attempt to start. Only dash light that comes in is the steering wheel lock light. Searching online it seems the battery has to be registered to the car via bmw scan tool. Well the car is in the garage with the steering wheel locked.

Also read these years had issues with it not starting because of the steering lock and would have to replace the whole column. Wth. Any BMW mechanics here that could give me advice? Will be hard to get it out of his garage cause of the steering locked and the garage door is a small.

Checked all the fuses in the glove box and they're good.

Cover the simple things first. Is the new battery charged? Can you check the voltage?
Also, did the car start immediately before replacing the battery or was it completely dead?

It should still start even without registering the battery but I would still suggest getting it registered soon. I bet the problem is the connection on the IBS. Try disconnecting the IBS connector (3-pin connector with 2 wires) from the negative battery terminal. Follow the white/blue and gray wires from the IBS to locate the connector. You may just try jiggling that and see if it starts. If it does, you may want to replace that. I believe that is a common failure point. I think you can even unplug it and see if it starts unplugged.

What year?

When you you say it won't start what do you mean? No clicking? It the cylinders fire but it won't turn over?

Or since the columns locked you can't even turn the key?

one easy thing to try is you may have disconnected the battery but not completely drained the system which can cause funky stuff with the ecu sometimes. try disconnecting it again and then bump your breaks, this should completely discharge the system. Similar to hitting the power button on your computer when you unplug it to completely discharge it. Once its completely drained then try reconnecting it and see. long shot but its easy enough to try.

My nephew's battery went dead so I helped him replace it. Won't start or even attempt to start. Only dash light that comes in is the steering wheel lock light. Searching online it seems the battery has to be registered to the car via bmw scan tool. Well the car is in the garage with the steering wheel locked.

Also read these years had issues with it not starting because of the steering lock and would have to replace the whole column. Wth. Any BMW mechanics here that could give me advice? Will be hard to get it out of his garage cause of the steering locked and the garage door is a small.

Checked all the fuses in the glove box and they're good.

Cover the simple things first. Is the new battery charged? Can you check the voltage?
Also, did the car start immediately before replacing the battery or was it completely dead?
Battery was completely dead. Didn't check the voltage but the lights came on. I have to bring my volt meter. Wouldn't start at all and no power to anything

It should still start even without registering the battery but I would still suggest getting it registered soon. I bet the problem is the connection on the IBS. Try disconnecting the IBS connector (3-pin connector with 2 wires) from the negative battery terminal. Follow the white/blue and gray wires from the IBS to locate the connector. You may just try jiggling that and see if it starts. If it does, you may want to replace that. I believe that is a common failure point. I think you can even unplug it and see if it starts unplugged.
Tried that. Plugged, unplugged, wiggled the it's and tried starting with it unplugged

What year?

When you you say it won't start what do you mean? No clicking? It the cylinders fire but it won't turn over?

Or since the columns locked you can't even turn the key?
Insert key then push button. Weird cause no dash lights come on at all just the steering lock symbol. The seat belt extender thing moves though.

E90 BMW's don't use a normal key. They are all push button start.

one easy thing to try is you may have disconnected the battery but not completely drained the system which can cause funky stuff with the ecu sometimes. try disconnecting it again and then bump your breaks, this should completely discharge the system. Similar to hitting the power button on your computer when you unplug it to completely discharge it. Once its completely drained then try reconnecting it and see. long shot but its easy enough to try.
Worth a shot. Thanks

Breaking
My
Wallet
I'll stick with my trucks. Not a fan of not being able to work on my own vehicle. Especially just a battery

I would've brought it to the dealer if I had known I'll try this week and update. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom