• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help with ‘04 5.4l 3v Ford Triton misfire

Just downloaded Forscan and ordering the OBDII connector. See what that says. I talked to a local mechanic who said he couldn’t really help. Trucks and stuff,right?

Going to drive the car anyway because of the $4.20 gal gas so I’ll keep a check here but won’t have new info till I get the dongle to connect to computer.
Thank you all, I do appreciate it.

Update, got the Forscan program and the OBDII LINK. Everything is up and running but I’ve got to learn to Navi the system, I’ve made a start and learning how to set the right tests seems ok but now I’ve got to learn about short and long term fuel trims and bunch of other stuff. At a glance , the only difference I could see in long term fuel trims about 3%different from 1 and 2. Don’t know what any of that means yet.

Cool! I had never heard of FORScan before. Seems similar to what RossTech/VAGCOM is for VW. Less costly too.

I don't think of fuel trims as being useful for misfire diagnosis but that could be some ignorance on my part. What I do know about fuel trims is that short and long will ideally be close together. Every manufacturer has a different preferred specification. I have not worked for Ford before but 3% variance wouldn't be a red flag for me. Maybe some of the other guys can chime in on that.

Cool! I had never heard of FORScan before. Seems similar to what RossTech/VAGCOM is for VW. Less costly too.

I don't think of fuel trims as being useful for misfire diagnosis but that could be some ignorance on my part. What I do know about fuel trims is that short and long will ideally be close together. Every manufacturer has a different preferred specification. I have not worked for Ford before but 3% variance wouldn't be a red flag for me. Maybe some of the other guys can chime in on that.
I would agree if I knew anything!! I just used those as examples of everything I don’t understand yet. Before this is over I’m going to be a sure ‘Nuff Ford tech!
One thing I’ve got to learn is how to save a file for later viewing if possible, like it says when you first open the program, Don’t Drive and watch this.

Any updates?
Not yet, unfortunately, except for the 2 hours of coyote hunting I did yesterday I’ve been bogged down with work and tax prep. I’m also still trying to understand some of the basic information available from the Forscan tool. Off work at 8 tomorrow and will start back on it. I’m going to pull some test values from the tool and post them here for y’all to see and hopefully there will be an aha moment. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom