• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Home Defense Shotgun storage ideas with small Children in the house???

lol don't do this

And exactly why not? The shotgun is disabled, the action cannot be worked, and a shell cannot be chambered. So, tell me what's wrong with this method, please.

In case I wasn't clear before: The OP has a pump action shotgun. Open the action, run a cable lock up through the magazine loading port and out the ejection port. Lock it. Keep the key. This can even be done with a loaded magazine tube.

Although I've read it doesn't happen with modern shotguns, I prefer not to test it. The farrier we use had one go off driving down a rough road. Saw the damage to the headliner. Supposedly only some over unders and coach guns are able to do it because of the hammer, but I'll leave the drop testing to someone else, just in case.

This is not an issue with a properly working, modern shotgun.

And exactly why not? The shotgun is disabled, the action cannot be worked, and a shell cannot be chambered. So, tell me what's wrong with this method, please.

In case I wasn't clear before: The OP has a pump action shotgun. Open the action, run a cable lock up through the magazine loading port and out the ejection port. Lock it. Keep the key. This can even be done with a loaded magazine tube.[/QUOT

Not saying anything wrong with this idea. But remember Barney Fife fumbling to put single bullet in his gun. Add stress to situation and is home owner capable of unlocking quickly in dark room. Then there is the issue of loosing key in the dark or forgetting key.

Not saying anything wrong with this idea. But remember Barney Fife fumbling to put single bullet in his gun. Add stress to situation and is home owner capable of unlocking quickly in dark room. Then there is the issue of loosing key in the dark or forgetting key.

I agree its great for just storage, I don't think its a good idea for home defense.

In case I wasn't clear before: The OP has a pump action shotgun. Open the action, run a cable lock up through the magazine loading port and out the ejection port. Lock it. Keep the key. This can even be done with a loaded magazine tube.
Quick access........F those cable locks. Not really sure why they come with them.

The "fact" that you cannot operate a key lock under stress is a load of BS. You can perform any task under stress, as long as you have practiced it thoroughly.

Some other fine motor skills that folks are expected to perform under stress:
Hit that little mag release button
Insert a magazine in a magazine well
Insert a single round into the cylinder of a revolver, or 6 all at once when using a speeoader
Hit an action release button on a shotgun
Line up the front sight in the rear sight, put it on the threat, and discharge the firearm while disturbing neither

Some folks need trained, or at the very least, they need to read the books "On Killing" and "On Combat" by Dave Grossman. These books are some of the definitive studies on how the human body reacts and performs under the extreme stress of a lethal force encounter, and how to model your training with that in mind.

Anyways, I wouldn't leave the cable lock in the shotgun while I'm in the room with it; that would be asinine. When I get up in the morning and leave the shotgun by its lonesome, I would insert the cable lock. I get ready to go to bed, I'd remove the cable lock and leave the shotgun in "cruiser ready"; empty chamber, hammer down, fully loaded mag tube.

I actually have done this: Screw an eye bolt through the wall in a closet or corner of your room behind a door, or other discreet but quick-access location. Make sure the eye bolt's threads go 2" deep into the stud in the wall. Then use a cable-lock (coated braided steel cable that is very strong, but won't scratch your gun) THROUGH THE OPEN ACTION, right through the feeding port on the bottom and the ejection port on the side, AND through the eye bolt.

Thus, the gun cannot have its chamber loaded, and it cannot be fired, and it cannot easily be taken to some other location-- it's secure from children and casual thieves, although obviously an adult can break it loose or find a lineman's pliers to cut the cable (will take some time, but it can be done).

))))))))))))))))))

SECOND CHOICE: Get a cheap single-lock metal gun cabinet. All steel (sheet metal), no windows, no insulation, no fire rating. Just a locking metal box to keep the guns out of the hands of curious kids or opportunistic thieves.
These can be had for $99- $160, and will hold a few long guns and a couple of pistols too.
GET THE KIND THAT ONLY HAVE ONE LOCK... not two . When time is of the essence, having just one lock to deal with is important.
Keep the key with you. DO NOT HIDE IT. Kids will find it !

The cabinet itself can be secured to the wall, too. With 3.5" wood screws or hex-head bolts going into studs.

Here's such a cabinet that meets my criteria above:
http://www.thefirestore.com/store/p...WSnofLrR8rkgQzBDPhjKlfBGNhsrIpLY7ERoCdAjw_wcB

I would much rather have my firearm secured with a mechanical key lock than an electronic "biometric" device. If the battery or biometric device fails, you have to default to the key. If your hands have blood on them, how well will the device work?

Even if I used a biometric locking device, I would only use it when I'm not in the room with it. When I went to sleep, I would unlock the firearm and have it where I can reach it.

Personally, I don't have a firearm within "easy" reach when I'm asleep. I have to get out of bed and grab it out of the closet. I do this on purpose. I have woken up startled on more than one occasion and tried to react to what I perceived was going on. Tried to attack my daughter, who was 5YOA at the time, and on another occasion I grabbed my wife by the throat. So, for me, having a firearm I can quickly grab before I am fully cognizant is not a good idea. I'm any of y'all wake up like I do sometimes, this is something to think about.

I also have 3 dogs in the house; 1 is a GSD and the other is a GSD/husky mix. This gives me some extra time.

Back
Top Bottom