• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How accurate is your 22 rifle??

Since you are not able to dial in your ammo by hand loading what you need to do is buy several different types of 22lr ammo and shoot them side by side . There are differences in the chamber of your rifle and ammo. You will eventually find the combination that works best. Buy a lot of that ammo and have fun.

That would be impressive. I am gonna give. Few other brands a shot and see what happens

If you're after the best possible groups, those five other brands shouldn't be CCI, Remington, Federal, Aguila, and Winchester. They should be Lapua, Norma, SK, Nobel, Eley, maybe RWS. And maybe Federal Gold Match.

And Wolf Target if you can find any. Midway has all the others, though you're gonna choke when you see the prices. Find a couple of friends with precision .22s (or wannabe precision .22s) and split the cost.

I had a gentleman in Blue Ridge work on my 10/22. The most cost effective thing on the bill was him trying all those different types of ammo, because I didn't have to buy a box of each. But I have the targets, and I know what it likes.

Since you are not able to dial in your ammo by hand loading what you need to do is buy several different types of 22lr ammo and shoot them side by side . There are differences in the chamber of your rifle and ammo. You will eventually find the combination that works best. Buy a lot of that ammo and have fun.
In addition to this, consistency of performance from round to round is important and this is what you are paying for with the more expensive 22 ammo. The rifle may not "like" all of the different high end ammo, but it should like some of it a lot and has no chance of liking cheap ammo that is inconsistent.

^ never thought of shooting pennies. That may be fun, just hot glue a couple bucks worth standing on a 2x4 and fire away. It'd be cheaper than paper targets!

I laid a bunch of change out on my scanner/copier. Two rows of quarters, two of nickels, dimes, and pennies. Then made 20 copies. Even cheaper that way.

OK, it was one row. SK ammo, 50 yards. Cheated-- I was indoors at Georgia Gun Club (no wind).
IMG_0294.JPG

^ never thought of shooting pennies. That may be fun, just hot glue a couple bucks worth standing on a 2x4 and fire away. It'd be cheaper than paper targets!
I shot that penny probably 25 years ago when before my eyes got too old. Haha! I'm kinda proud of that one though cause I got it on the very first try using an old rifle my granddad left me. First time I remember shooting it I must have only been about 8 years old in the 60's, I love that old rifle. That's a good idea about hot gluing the pennies, I've got a 5 gallon pickle jar a little over half full of em' so I don't think I'd have to worry about running outta targets any time soon.

took my plan ol 597 out to my buddy range and dinged a 2 inch plate 9 outta 10 times at 100 yards. figured that was good enough. another fun thing for .22 is go take a board and glue match heads to the side of it and shoot the heads off

Back
Top Bottom