• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do I get into the long range precision game?

There is a 2500 yard range in Blakely GA, about 123 miles from Valdosta. I host a shoot there a minimum of 2 times a year, in addition to teaching classes there. The entire facility is over 3,000 acres with numerous ranges of several different types.

There is Core Shooting Solutions in Baker FL. Very nice facility with numerous ranges, including a 1,000yd range. I've been invited to come down and run some classes there, just haven't done it yet.
I could definitely make trips out to blakely without any trouble! That makes me feel more confident about getting into this.

Matt & others who've chimed in...

Thank you for asking the question. I've learned a lot just reading this thread. I have a Ruger RPR in 308 set up for long range with a Vortex HD 5x20. I have the equipment and desire to spend some time learning distance shooting. I'd like to cut my teeth in a class as well but not at the expense of potentially slowing others down. Generally most people in the gun community are welcoming and friendly. My apprehension is with non patience with those that have lesser skill in a particular discipline such as this. The longe range shooting discipline has interested me for several years. Where to go to get started is one issue and resources on information and where to shoot in North GA Atlanta area. I'm aware of Gunsite Hills in the Athens area...Are there others that are open to the public?

This last post brings me to another good point. A lower Zoom QUALITY scope is much better than a lower dollar higher zoom scope. Clarity of the glass makes a HUGE difference at range. I have 125yd range in my backyard. Had a 16x inexpensive scope on my rifle, neighbor has a high quality 8x scope on his. Its MUCH easier to see the target through his scope than it is mine. Its not blurry in my scope, but there is a noticeable haze, his scope is clearer, cleaner, and crisper than my glasses :/ we have about the same money in the scopes @ around $100 and I wish I had bought his Nikon for the money instead of my cheapie scope but I thought incorrectly the added zoom would help me more than the cleaner glass

Edited to add:

Also something from my photography knowledge

A smaller diameter lens will have a longer focal point (the area range that is in focus IE from 10-50 yards is all clear) but will be darker, a larger diameter lens will let in more light, but will have a shorter focal length (IE from 10-30 yards will be in focus) And a prime (no change in zoom, just 8x or 4x or what have you) will always be brighter and clearer than a lens that has zoom and are generally less expensive for what you are getting. Zoom is an expensive upgrade and you generally lose clarity trying to stay in the same price point as you would a clean prime scope

Matt & others who've chimed in...

Thank you for asking the question. I've learned a lot just reading this thread. I have a Ruger RPR in 308 set up for long range with a Vortex HD 5x20. I have the equipment and desire to spend some time learning distance shooting. I'd like to cut my teeth in a class as well but not at the expense of potentially slowing others down. Generally most people in the gun community are welcoming and friendly. My apprehension is with non patience with those that have lesser skill in a particular discipline such as this. The longe range shooting discipline has interested me for several years. Where to go to get started is one issue and resources on information and where to shoot in North GA Atlanta area. I'm aware of Gunsite Hills in the Athens area...Are there others that are open to the public?

My 2-day Basic Precision Rifle Course is geared towards the absolute novice.....you'd be just fine in it. I always have 1-2 Assistants helping me with the course. If there is someone that is lagging behind we're able to give them some extra attention and get them caught up.

Some folks go and shoot on their own to "get ready" for this class. Oftentimes, all they end up doing is instilling bad habits that I then have to break. THAT slows things down.

I can always do a small private warm-up class on the range near my house. Folks that come and do this have a leg up when they attend the BPR Course.

This last post brings me to another good point. A lower Zoom QUALITY scope is much better than a lower dollar higher zoom scope. Clarity of the glass makes a HUGE difference at range. I have 125yd range in my backyard. Had a 16x inexpensive scope on my rifle, neighbor has a high quality 8x scope on his. Its MUCH easier to see the target through his scope than it is mine. Its not blurry in my scope, but there is a noticeable haze, his scope is clearer, cleaner, and crisper than my glasses :/ we have about the same money in the scopes @ around $100 and I wish I had bought his Nikon for the money instead of my cheapie scope but I thought incorrectly the added zoom would help me more than the cleaner glass

Edited to add:

Also something from my photography knowledge

A smaller diameter lens will have a longer focal point (the area range that is in focus IE from 10-50 yards is all clear) but will be darker, a larger diameter lens will let in more light, but will have a shorter focal length (IE from 10-30 yards will be in focus) And a prime (no change in zoom, just 8x or 4x or what have you) will always be brighter and clearer than a lens that has zoom and are generally less expensive for what you are getting. Zoom is an expensive upgrade and you generally lose clarity trying to stay in the same price point as you would a clean prime scope
Photography is a hobby of mine so this makes a lot of sense! Good way of putting it!

+1 for cmshoot cmshoot BPR course. I had never shot beyond 100y and I was ringing steel at 1000 with a 556 AR on day 2. Everything from M1As to ARs, mid range bolts to high end AIs. The more knowledgeable shooters are very helpful if you keep your ears open. cmshoot cmshoot will even help you tear your home built 308 gas gun apart if it gets clogged up with punched primers.

My 2-day Basic Precision Rifle Course is geared towards the absolute novice.....you'd be just fine in it. I always have 1-2 Assistants helping me with the course. If there is someone that is lagging behind we're able to give them some extra attention and get them caught up.

Some folks go and shoot on their own to "get ready" for this class. Oftentimes, all they end up doing is instilling bad habits that I then have to break. THAT slows things down.

I can always do a small private warm-up class on the range near my house. Folks that come and do this have a leg up when they attend the BPR Course.

That's great to know...PM on pricing and a availability on private sessions. Thank you in advance!

Back
Top Bottom