• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I HATE a thief...

Thanks! Let's just say I'm planning a little camping trip this weekend if things haven't been resolved. If anybody has seen the last episode of season 2 of Punisher...right there at the end, that's kinda how I have this upcoming weekend playing out in my mind right now!

Stay safe, no telling what type of people your dealing with. My advice is to let the Law inforcement handle it, but I'd be pissed and want some retribution .

I'm skipping from the OP on page 1 to here, but...

... if the old farmhouse LOOKS abandoned, and it looks in a bad state of disrepair, isn't it reasonable to think that very soon the roof will start leaking and destroy all the stuff with rot and mold?

If so, then perhaps the real crime here is just trespassing, but the "theft" may simply be someone's desire to avoid waste, and let valuable or historically-significant stuff be lost through rot and rodents and neglect. If the thief steals an antique chair and sells it, at least SOMEBODY will buy it. Somebody who thinks it has some value, and will keep it safe and maybe try to refinish or restore it (if it needs that).

I'm just playing Devil's advocate here.

... if the old farmhouse LOOKS abandoned, and it looks in a bad state of disrepair, isn't it reasonable to think that very soon the roof will start leaking and destroy all the stuff with rot and mold?

If so, then perhaps the real crime here is just trespassing, but the "theft" may simply be someone's desire to avoid waste, and let valuable or historically-significant stuff be lost through rot and rodents and neglect. If the thief steals an antique chair and sells it, at least SOMEBODY will buy it. Somebody who thinks it has some value, and will keep it safe and maybe try to refinish or restore it (if it needs that).

Maybe you missed the part of where he boarded up broken windows and they came back and tore it down and reentered

WTF? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Based on that theory, all looting is legal and moral.

yep, missed that part. That indicates somebody cares about the place and the stuff in it.

These crack heads were looking for money or something valuable to sell for a quick buck. I didn't see anything that led me to believe that they were just doing their civic duty and saving valuable old junk from being destroyed in the event that the roof might start leaking.

Jussie Smolatt is just a poor misunderstood black child. Yea that too.

QUOTE:
"For example, there was a V8 drink can on a pc of furniture by the door that had obviously been from Thu night (liquid still wet in the rim of the can) and the officers didn't even offer to take it for finger prints!! "

This is inexcusable.
Lazy cops, indifferent command staff running the department.
The burglars almost certainly left fingerprints behind, and the LEO's aren't going to lift them and process them. Why? Because it's "just a burglary."

I say they should do it. Even if THIS particular burglary was of an abandoned-looking home, and the things stolen having little "fair market value," there is a good chance that the people are habitual thieves who steal OTHER STUFF. Busting them for the old farmhouse burglary and getting a search warrant for their homes and workplaces looking for stolen property might be the key to solving many other theft crimes in multiple counties in that area.

It's burglary if you enter a structure and remove a chewing gum wrapper, the same as it's a felony if someone enters a vehicle and removes a chewing gum wrapper.

You of all people should know that the crime steps up a notch from theft to burglary once you enter a structure, locked or not.

WTF? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Based on that theory, all looting is legal and moral.

Some looting could be justified, morally, on the "prevention of waste" theory.
For example, looting the perishable goods from a supermarket during a long-term power outage and disaster that has closed all the roads, so that this stuff cannot be picked-up and transported in refrigerated trucks to some other store to sell, or a relief center to distribute to the needy.
If the choice is either let all the steaks and seafood and fresh veggies rot, or for local people within walking distance to pillage them and use them to feed their own families (and perhaps resell to other local people, in walking or ATV-driving distance)... the looting is a more efficient outcome.

This is assuming the owners and managers of the supermarket just leave it closed, unstaffed, unguarded, and don't make any effort to save or redistribute (sell, donate) the perishable goods themselves.

You have got to be kidding me.

2x

Back
Top Bottom