• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

If you want a suppressor shipped to your door with no paperwork...

Yeah the bore butter is similar to shooting it wet. If you put enough on, it will eliminate the first round pop. I've also bought some spray on Anti Spatter to test, but I just haven't had much of a chance.

With a BP suppressed rifle, all shots are "first round".

With a BP suppressed rifle, all shots are "first round".

No I'm talking about the first round pop that is common on some 22 silencers (monocores mostly). The first round can be loud on some 22 cans so people will use ablatives like wire pulling gel, water, etc., to quiet the first round and subsequent rounds also.

Just read the specs. The only powder in the recommend list is Blackhorn 209.

Doesn't say you can't use conicals. Looks like paper patched is probably out, though. Can't use anything that might leave paper or plastic in the suppressor.

Just read the specs. The only powder in the recommend list is Blackhorn 209.

Doesn't say you can't use conicals. Looks like paper patched is probably out, though. Can't use anything that might leave paper or plastic in the suppressor.

IIRC, it said jacketed only. Conicals are pure lead, no jacket. It lists a recommended powder, but doesn't prohibit other black powders .

IIRC, it said jacketed only. Conicals are pure lead, no jacket. It lists a recommended powder, but doesn't prohibit other black powders .

Didn't see anything about jacketed only. At least not in the FAQ

Conical is the shape of the projectile (cone), regardless of the materials used.

Didn't see anything about jacketed only. At least not in the FAQ

Conical is the shape of the projectile (cone), regardless of the materials used.

Uh, no. In BP, these are what the term "conical" refers to (as well as mini-balls, which are not balls). And no jacket.

muzzle-50cal21.jpg

I read it in the full manual, not the FAQ puff piece.

Uh, no. In BP, these are what the term "conical" refers to (as well as mini-balls, which are not balls). And no jacket.

The complete, correct term for the bullet you are describing is lead conical. There are others.

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/bullets/thor-bullet-full-bore-conical-300-grain-1430.html

The Complete Black Powder Handbook refers to copper conicals.

Powerbelts are technically conicals, too, although it's an unusual, composite version (the hollow based of the cone is made from the plastic skirt, but it serves exactly the same purpose as the hollow base of a lead conical).

Conical describes a shape, not a metalurgy. Because, once upon a time, all conical BP bullets were made from lead, the shorthand is to think of all conicals as lead, but it's technically innacurate.

Here's how Cabelas BP projectiles page states it:

Conical bullets have been around for a long time. Usually made from pure lead, like balls, most have a hollow base that allows them to "upset" and grip the rifling.

I highlighted the important word relative to our discussion.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Your-Guide-to-Muzzleloader-Bullets/531669.uts

I read it in the full manual, not the FAQ puff piece.

I'll take your word for it.

Back
Top Bottom