• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

In market for a new 4x4 Pickup - what brand?

Use this link to search for new Tacos nationwide.
I am going to start looking. Got my 15 pro from Bondy Toyota in Alabama. Used with 12000 miles. When I called about it the salesman stated that they would drive the truck to me to look at it. This was after they video the truck and even under the vehicle. Met him in Dallas and test drove it. Signed the papers and he left with a employee from Bondy.

I can tell you first hand the Colorado 8 speed had transmission issues. I test drove one, felt like the transmission was going to fall out when I shifted out of the dealer parking lot. Long story short, I ended up with a different Colorado and it had all the same issues. Dealership/GM could flush the fluid , five plus times new TQ etc, never got any better. Everyone I talked too at the gas station who had one, said their Colorado did funny things related to the transmission. I think they all the issue based on my personal experience. GM did not have good customer service.

The funny thing was the Colorado was like the same price as as Silverado at the time....makes no sense.

Still the worst time in history to buy a truck, hold off if you can.

My 21’ Ram 1500 4x4 gets avg 30-34mpg on the highway depending on the trip. I disagree with your fuel mileage statement.
33gal tank and 3.93 gears I get about 800 miles to the tank with mixed Hwy and city driving and over 1000 when it’s all interstate..
I have owned a 4x4 Ram pickup and a 2wd Tundra. IMHO I much prefer the Tundra. With the Ram, the ride, the gas mileage, the plastics and the electronics all weren’t good.

Maybe they have gotten better, but the Chrysler electronics alone will keep me out of one

I can tell you first hand the Colorado 8 speed had transmission issues. I test drove one, felt like the transmission was going to fall out when I shifted out of the dealer parking lot. Long story short, I ended up with a different Colorado and it had all the same issues. Dealership/GM could flush the fluid , five plus times new TQ etc, never got any better. Everyone I talked too at the gas station who had one, said their Colorado did funny things related to the transmission. I think they all the issue based on my personal experience. GM did not have good customer service.

The funny thing was the Colorado was like the same price as as Silverado at the time....makes no sense.

Still the worst time in history to buy a truck, hold off if you can.
Hopefully the 2023 new body models will be better but I doubt it. Shame because I really like the zr2 exterior.

Hopefully the 2023 new body models will be better but I doubt it. Shame because I really like the zr2 exterior.

I had a lot list of things they could have done better on. The older Gen 1 Tundra's are a lot more comfy that the ZR2. (love the dual lockers though). However the transmission was bad, also they have a TSB on the AC freezing up and not working (Ask me how I know) dealership offered zero solutions beside GM is working on it and have fun sweating if the AC freezes over again (I have pics for people interested lol).

Personally if your over 6 foot 2 and 200 pounds I don't think the Colorado is a good fit at all. Maybe if your like 5 foot 6 and 150 pounds it would be more comfy.

I was a die hard GM person for years, but really soured on my personal experience.

I think part of the problem is trying to meet all the government crap that keeps coming down the line. It seems that in the past few years every manufacturer is putting out vehicles that have more problems than in the past. Will autos become like everything else, TVs, fridges, stoves. Replace the truck every 100,000 miles. 8,9,10 speed transmissions, turbos, hybrids, electric motors. Quality down, prices up. Maybe I need to look at a Maverick and just get a new one every five years

I find myself bagging on new vehicles too from time to time. I have to stop and remind myself that 20 years ago when I worked at a dealership any trade in vehicle with 99,999 miles got dumped in the bullpen and sold at wholesale because there wasn’t a bank in the country that would finance a vehicle with 100,000 miles.

Today however, I can walk into any dealership and finance a 8 year old car with a 150,000 miles like it was nothing.

Used to be I felt like I was getting my moneys worth to see 100k. Now I feel like I got ripped off if I don’t see 250k.

I have owned a 4x4 Ram pickup and a 2wd Tundra. IMHO I much prefer the Tundra. With the Ram, the ride, the gas mileage, the plastics and the electronics all weren’t good.

Maybe they have gotten better, but the Chrysler electronics alone will keep me out of one
Well there ya go. It’s not Chrysler anymore. Hasn’t been for a while. It’s Stellantis

I reckon I’ll just stick with my 10year old + vehicles. I can fix a lot of stuff for 49-50G’s. 2010 F-150 Lariat and 2011 FJ Cruiser both over 200,000…
That's my take on the subject, for $50G's I can keep my old 2002 & 2007 Tundra trucks going for a very long time.

Back
Top Bottom