• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

In regards to the "Do you practice drawing from your carry holster" Thread.

Do you guys practice hammering nails as well?
Do you practice breathing?
Do you practice walking?

When the time comes you are going to **** something up. Trust me when I say this because it will happen. Hell you'll probably even drop your gun.

Don't worry about sitting in front of a mirror drawing your gun over and over again looking like a total retard to everyone around.

You get enough practice pulling you firearm out of your holster every night when you go to bed.

So save your energy and do something I learned many years ago. It was explained to me by a green beret and it is very simple.

STAY CALM. And remember SOFTWARE is more important than HARDWARE. Meaning your mental state is more important than what you got in your hand in this situation.

So buy some yoga pants and learn to relax ladies.

i0.wp.com_www.politicususa.com_wp_content_uploads_2015_02_men_ea4b394dfffab68ce59431f246ceb9e9.jpg
The troll is strong with this one.

Guess what, that Green Beret you’re vaguely referencing as an appeal to authority? He practiced. A lot. That’s how one learns to stay calm.

The issue is what are you comfortable with... using your gun, taking a life, gun is held until trial etc., YOU are scrutinized until the outcome is revealed PERIOD. If you can only be an expert witness then that works too.
I was LE for 25 years, 35 Military and I trained to take the shot... to go home after the "Shift". I carried daily due to the fact I would run into the folks I arrested while out and about with family while off-duty. A lot has changed... the world today... folks getting hemmed up for lawful carry, going to jail for "Protecting" themselves.
I say if you carry you better practice... and I say if you carry you better have another option... fists, ASP, Taser... something. You better have a retention on your holster to keep the gun in place, and if and when you pull it out it better be the only option you have left. As a trainer do YOU, but YOU better be ready when you drop the hammer!

My 2*

not sure about military but I know several cops and they say training is minimal. Most Leo’s that are serious about training are gonna do it on their own time and dime. But I get whatcha saying

Then you realize cops are not very good at.....anything. You can ask 4 different cops the same question and get 4 different answers. Then get on the shooting range during a friendly steel shoot and watch them have a 2 to 3 second draw time and then cannot hit a 6 inch steel plate at 10 yards with 15 shots. For the life of me I'll never understand why someone would carry a tool, a life and safety preserving tool, everyday, and not at practice with it. The police officers that are ex-military can shoot. You are a fool if you do not practice.

Then you realize cops are not very good at.....anything. You can ask 4 different cops the same question and get 4 different answers. Then get on the shooting range during a friendly steel shoot and watch them have a 2 to 3 second draw time and then cannot hit a 6 inch steel plate at 10 yards with 15 shots. For the life of me I'll never understand why someone would carry a tool, a life and safety preserving tool, everyday, and not at practice with it. The police officers that are ex-military can shoot. You are a fool if you do not practice.

I would qualify that as the “average cop” and not make it a blanket statement that seems to cover all LEO’s. I shoot very well, as do my buddies that are LE. Two of my friends that are LE we’re sponsored shooters on the FN team.

I would qualify that as the “average cop” and not make it a blanket statement that seems to cover all LEO’s. I shoot very well, as do my buddies that are LE. Two of my friends that are LE we’re sponsored shooters on the FN team.

You are correct, I painted with pretty broad strokes there and shouldn't have. I'n my very limited experience, officers seem more disinterested than would make since to me for the tools needed in their line of work. I know several officers who can shoot, who can really shoot, but most of them are swat. No offence meant.

Back
Top Bottom