• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interesting call from a Savannah detective

not a gun but I traded a motorcycle years ago to a guy with a car I wanted. He then traded or sold it to a guy in KY without registering it. I had a detective in KY call me because some dude ran from the cops and wrecked out. Last person it was registered to was me of course. Nothing else came from that, they were just trying to get info, if it was stolen ect.. Since Ga doesn't requite a BOS to register I didn't even have that but I told that to the detective and I had cancelled insurance and registration the day after I made the trade.

Got a call from a detective the other day about a firearm that was in my name that was used in a homicide.

He asked if I had a G19. Then he asked if I knew where it was. Then he asked if I reported it stolen.

Then he wanted to know if I kept records of who I sold them to.

I’ve pretty much stalled him, but I’m probably just going to tell him I sold it in a private sale in 2021 (as it was)

Always wondered if I would eventually get one of these phone calls after selling and trading over the years…
How did they know it was bought ' In your name ' ?

Did you register it through Glock ?

If you weren't the last person to sell it to the (alleged) killer, why would they even care?

They have the body, they have the (alleged) killer and they have the gun. Why do they need you?

I ran into something similar a year or so ago, with a Postal Inspector asking about the sale of a gun.

But that was different in a couple of ways...

1) The case involved a guy buying guns here and mailing them to CA.
2) I had sold the gun directly to the person accused of running the GA end of things.

I did have his supervisor send me a formal letter asking my assistance and verifying the inspector as being legitimate. Then I talked to him on the phone (I called their office from their published number and asked for him) to confirm his very basic questions (SN, make, model and date I sold it).

He already had that info from searching this site, but was hoping I had more information in PMs (I didn't).

I certainly don't feel bad about helping the cops in cases like this, but you should also make sure that you aren't going to get put in a bad position.

In this case I don't know what additional information you can bring unless they are trying to bust a gun buying ring. If this is simply a murder they should have everything they need.

I don’t have any particulars about said homicide. Maybe gun was left at the scene and they don’t have the perp. Who knows.:

Thought those were supposed to be "Destroyed " after a certain amount of time by the ATF (Hence No Gun registration ) .?

Guess the Place you bought it may keep the 4473 records . But Still .
FFL required to keep 4473 for 20 years.

Thought those were supposed to be "Destroyed " after a certain amount of time by the ATF (Hence No Gun registration ) .?

Guess the Place you bought it may keep the 4473 records . But Still .

Destroyed?

Ha, last I checked, you are required to keep them for "NOT LESS THEN 20 YEARS".

And if you close up shop, you have to give those records to the BATFE for them to keep.

FFL required to keep 4473 for 20 years.

So for 20 years the Shops / Stores are the "Registration facilities" ' as a lack of better wording .

Thanks I learned something .

Back
Top Bottom