• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is .270 enough?

Yeah I'm not going brown/grizz or Moose hunting with a .270 by choice. Better than a stick in the eye yes, and a .270 is capable of much more than too many give it credit for, but moose and dangerous game, it's got to start with a .3 and be smoking on the way out.

We agree we know (2) ole South Jawja Boys, who went to Colorado, with 270 Caliper guns, everyone in camp was giving them what for about their guns, the second day at better than 300+ yards each shot a Bull that weighted 900+ pounds with a very well placed shot and dropped them. The hecklers shut up after that, and they shot the only two bulls in the camp that week.

Shot placemen, shot placement...

Just keep the .270, shoot 150gr bullets instead of 130gr. should be fine for most situations. For those situations where more gun is needed, just buy a S&W 460. Plenty of power, up to 200 yd range and you can also shoot 454 Casull through it. Both of those rounds should drop a bear or moose easily.

Yes I have hunted everything in alaska and yes the 270 is plenty for everything except a kodiak.. Everything else you can kill with a 270 ...with the right bullets like partitions or a frames.. But for grizzly I recomment at minimum 300 magnum and my favorite is my 340 weatherby with 250 partitions.. Which has flattened two grizzlys and one grey wolf..

I'm sure it's enough for a better marksman than I. I'd need a .375h&h and Glock 20 w/ extra mags of Double Tap, lol!

I would assume it does not have the range you want but a rifled shotgun with scope and slugs can do plenty of damage up past 100 yards...especially with magnum loads (and a shoulder saver pad or reduced recoil stock)

If I had to shoot a charging Grizzly this is prob what I'd want.

Shoot a 150 grain tbbc or nosler partition and you'll be fine. The Fins use 6.5x55 for moose with no issues.

I think the answer to the OP's question is that the .270 "can be" enough rifle for the job, even big jobs, if the animal is presenting a clean shot and you place the bullet where it needs to go with precision and if you use the right kind of bullet for that game and that distance (considering the velocity it will impact with).

Jack O'Conner proved that the .270 Winchester could take every game animal on this continent back in the 1930s through the 1950s.
But even he wrote that it was not the ideal round for some of the bigger game he bagged.

MY SUGGESTION: You're not just visiting Alaska. You're moving there. You really should have a rifle that is well-respected as a moose / brown bear rifle, in a bigger caliber than .270 Win. But if the expense and hassle of moving has blown your budget and will be taking up all your free time, then put off the purchase of a new rifle until after you get settled there. If you want to hunt with the .270, hunt with it, but you might have to pass on some questionable shots, and you might still slightly increase your odds of wounding and tracking an animal instead of bang-flop-dead. Slightly higher risk of that.

Personally, I'd rather hunt with a gun I'm very familiar with and have lots of trigger time on, rather than buy a new rifle and take it on a big important hunt before I get a lot of practice time on it.

Back
Top Bottom