Is it ok for a Buyer to ask for a Bill of Sale (BOS)?

Oughtta be a list...they keep it right next to the 911 operators copy of the "Do Not Call" list. Y'all is the ones that when you dial 911 you hear "911 can you hold please?.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not holding anyone's DL and nobody is holding mine, but I'm seeing your DL, if not, NO SALE! I'm not committing a felony for someone who's paranoid I'm going use their info or turn it over to the govt., because buying or selling to someone out of state is a felony, so I will verify your a GA resident before I buy. I'm not much of a seller, I usually keep what I buy, so I don't have to worry about who sell too.

Where in the law does it say you have to see someone's drivers license?

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

I know people like to come up with all sorts of "pipe dreams" to make their sale more "legit" but that paper BOS is worthless.

I always do a BOS .................................................................. at an FFL and no where else............................................in this day and age of identity theft and other scams, I'm not signing anything or showing anything except my GWL if needed to prove residency.

If you want to feel all warm & fuzzy take your transaction to an FFL and complete a 4473. Some are free others $25>>> Up. If I'm the buyer and you want me to do a 4473 fine.. . I am not a felon, I answer Yes to 11a... NO to 11b-l Skip 12.. blah...blah... Then you pay the FFL. And yes I carry my GWL. You want to see it? That wont cost a thing but no BoS and no personal info is being recorded.

automobile your bill of sale/transfer is the title and it is the only legal way to tranfer the car to a new owner, a firearm requires no such transfer in goergia, i signed a bos once(the other trader asked me in the parking lot to fill it out so i decided to just do it to get it over with as the trade was good) but i traded off most of the guns involved with it with no bos so its pretty useless for tracking where the guns are now

I'm not about to equate a firearm BoS to one involving an automobile ... but:

As for a Automobile Bill of Sale .... You have never received a LEO call in the middle of the night asking why you left the scene of an accident involving a car that you sold months ago (the buyer never transferred the title!) ... I WAS! Without a written and signed Bill of Sale, the legal and liability implications would have been staggering!
Fortunately, I had a written & signed BoS (with buyers name and address) which I was required to FAX to the LEO's Office OR I could spend the night in jail and face charges while they "sorted things out" ... The Bill of Sale plus the record of my cancelling the insurance on as of the same date was "sufficient" proof to keep me "out of the system"
And, as my lawyer later told me: "having your name on the police blotter is Never A Good Thing!"

I can understand why someone doesn't want a seller asking for a BOS, but wouldn't it be wise for a buyer to have a BOS for his records, NOT for the sellers. It may or may not stand up in court, but it is a paper trail in case the firearm you bought ends up being stolen or was used in a crime. It seem like the seller shouldn't mind, since they don't have the firearm anymore.

Yes, it is O.K.

MY PC m,ade up form
I'd do without if I had to involve an FFL and the record's the ATF flips thru with Glee every time they do a site inspection.
Might ass well just buy from a FFL if you don't mind the paper and it winding up on the confiscation list, that way they'll have the correct address.
Make your own BOS/Trade/Buy/Sell doc and circle which it is appropriate for, both sign with verified ID and photo the other party, their vehicle and tag#, all that with the doc and should it wind up as having been stolen, your butt is covered better than with Charmin.Example of good Butt Cover Doc

Firearms Transfer Record
Sell / Buy / Trade / Other (Circle appropriate)
Date:__________________________________

Seller / Trader -print name ;________________________________________________
Address;____________________________________________City__________________________________
Phone:__________________________ D/L / GFL State;______________ Verified yes / no________________
Weapon selling/ trading make_________________________Model____________Serial#__________________
Caliber____________________________Accessories______________________________________________
Signature;_____________________________________Witness;_____________________________________
Trader / Buyer Information

Buyer/ Trader - print name;_________________________________________________________________
Address;____________________________________________City__________________________________
Phone:__________________________ D/L / GFL State;______________ Verified yes / no _______________
Weapon selling/ trading make_________________________Model____________Serial#_________________
Caliber____________________________Accessories_____________________________________________
Signature;_____________________________________Witness;___________________________________
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

No is all it takes, no means OK, No or no deal whichever I feel is warrented, based opn your appearance, biker, thug looking pimpish, or sporting the Stannicus painted face, but you would have been made aware of my BOS prior to our meet,

View attachment 206737

I would rather have my information on file with a licensed dealer than in some dude's hands.

What you are saying is "Don't trust BATF or FFLs with your information....Trust me."

I usually show both my DL and GWL if I didn't mention the BOS in negoiations, you won't see one.

LOL! So, it's fairly rare to see anybody from my town. Welcome. And having said that I already pretty much know that I never want to deal with you. As for asking for a bull **** of sale, do everyone a favor and make sure you ask during the negotiations. If someone waited till I got to a meet and then hit me with it, I'd be seriously pissed off.

Oh and as for having my info from seeing my DL, well, you can see a GA drivers license and even part of a name without seeing all the "info" you seem to want. Just reading your posts I am sure you won't ever even see THAT much of mine.

Back
Top Bottom