• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is reloading really worth it?

You asked about DANGER. There is always a DANGER when handling gunpowder. Gunpowder will burn and catch fire and flash if a spark hits it or whatever. You can prevent that by keeping all items away from your powder that can cause a spark or flame. Don't smoke or have a candle next to your powder. Use common sense. Even if a pile or container of powder gets a spark in it, it won't explode like a bomb. It will flash and make a huge sparkling roman candle effect and possibly catch something on fire. If you don't believe me, take a couple tablespoons full outside, pour it on a piece of wood or metal and light it with a BBQ lighter. It is entertaining but not particularly dangerous.

The key to an explosion, is compression. The same powder (and far less by the way) will produce a huge explosion if ignited inside a sealed container. This is not likely without an internal ignition source... like say a primer on a loaded round inside a gun chamber for example.

Just so you know, pistol powder burns faster than rifle powder. NEVER GET THESE CONFUSED or you can blow up your rifle and injure yourself if you use pistol powder. The pistol powder that I use is flat and flaky in consistency. The rifle powder is normally small spherical balls or extruded shapes. It is difficult to get them confused. Just be careful. Stay away from BLACK POWDER unless you have a classic muzzle loader or an antique cartridge firearm that requires BLACK POWDER. Make sure you do not get BLACK POWDER and PYRODEX confused. They are not meant to be used interchangeably and will damage firearms is not used properly in the correct firearms.

Sorry guys :( I forgot the search option late lastnight. My damn gf keeps trying to get me off the laptop.

Depends on what calibers you shoot, how much you shoot, how you value your time, and what quality ammo you want.

Shoot a couple of hundred rounds of 9mm a year? Not worth it. Shoot 2K a year? Probably worth it.

Is your time pretty cheap? It's probably worth it. Don't have much time to spare? Probably not worth it.

Are you plinking with bulk ammo? Probably not worth it. Are you looking for 500-yard accuracy? Probably worth it.

Wise thinking. Thanks! Yeah I see 9mm case for $200ish(brass) and 223 case for $320ish(brass). I shoot maybe 2k to 4k a year maybe? I try to cut back since ammo prices has gone up but there will always be ONE brand that will be at good price, you just have to catch it. My time? Well my only day off is Sunday so I will be shooting on that day which leaves me the end of Sunday to reload. Just depends on how long it takes to reload.

They LIE!!!!!!

You will not save more, you will just shoot more and more, trying to find good deals on bullets, primers and powders will become common place, you spend your birthday money on 3K of bullets, rob the piggy bank for enough powder and barter or trade for primers. Sweating it, making your fingers black picking up range brass, digging through the trash cans at the range cuz some knuckle head threw once fired brass away and you saw the glimmer of gold......

To what end a sore trigger finger, worn shooting irons, and a blood lead level that makes a paint chip snacking project baby jealous.

They lie.....dang nabit!

Last edited:
Sorry guys :( I forgot the search option late lastnight. My damn gf keeps trying to get me off the laptop.

Oh and just wait for the "you love your gun more than me" argument.....just wait, you will see, don't reload if you value her companionship. Unless, does she shoot?

Again, I don't load to save. I load for quality. If you're looking at just saving money on 9mm and .223, it'll likely wear thin on you fairly quick. I don't get to shoot nearly as much as I once did, but I still buy components like I do?

I have zero interest in blasting ammo. I still chase one hole groups. I can load for my .32 Winchester Special, and in just a few minutes be turning out rounds for a 6.8 SPC.

I've got enough money tied up in calipers, concentricity gages, power case trimmers, and other gadgets to have bought a small arsenal. No, if you think anything of your time, loading for the two calibers you mentioned for "shoot em' up" ammo ain't likely worth it? But that's just how one ole fart sees it?

Oh and just wait for the "you love your gun more than me" argument.....just wait, you will see, don't reload if you value her companionship. Unless, does she shoot?

Honestly, we have had that talk. Not really argue but she did mention that I would rather put my firearm errands first than anything. Yes I do wake up really early to go to Cherokee but won't wake up early on sunday to spend more time with her hahahah.

They LIE!!!!!!

You will not save more, you will just shoot more and more, trying to find good deals on bullets, primers and powders will become common place, you spend your birthday money on 3K of bullets, rob the piggy bank for enough powder and barter or trade for primers. Sweating it, making your fingers black picking up range brass, digging through the trash cans at the range cuz some knuckle head threw once fired brass away and you saw the glimmer of gold......

To what end a sore trigger finger, worn shooting irons, and a blood lead level that makes a paint chip snacking project baby jealous.

They lie.....dang nabit!

This!!!!! I feel so glad I'm not alone....haha

No more dangerous than firing the guns, follow the rules all is well.
I save much on hi power rifle rounds. It was an investment to get there though.
I make enough of other ammo so that I shoot much more for same price as mentioned before.
Worth it ? 110% yes love reloading it's a great and rewarding hobby.

Back
Top Bottom