• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Just how smart are your dogs?

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I think mine is secretly plotting to take over the world and just pretends to be Goofy from Disney.

My 2 1/2 year old male Cane Corso has taught himself a few things that make me believe he is above average intelligence.

Every night my English Bulldog is placed in her kennel and I slide a pin in to the top to keep the door closed. One night I put her up and 5 min later here she comes, so I put her up again. Once more she comes walking out. Now I am curious how she is getting out so after placing her back in I hide and watch and see my male Corso walk up to the cage and grab the pin with his teeth and pull it out. He then uses his big paw and kicks the door in to let her out.

Lately he has been trying to turn the door knobs when he wants out. This morning he was in our bedroom with the in swing door shut against the jamb. My wife watched him grab the door knob and turn it and pull it open to let himself out. If I could get him to use the trimmer and mow the yard I would be good.

Smart damn dog.

Dogs are much smarter than people give them credit for. I have to stress to my clients that training is not a matter of teaching a dog what you want. It's a matter of teaching them it's not optional. An average dog will learn the meaning of a new command, if taught properly, in about six repetitions. A brilliant one will in one or two reps, but even one that's dumb as a bag of hammers will learn it in nine or 10 reps.

I've worked with and owned some incredibly smart dogs, including the one I have now. There have been several time that I realized he was reaction to specific things I was about to do. It was almost like he was reading my mind. Then I realized he was reaction to very subtle, but consistent, precursor behaviors I was exhibiting. Things I didn't even recognize I was doing. He is scary tuned in to my actions and seems to be a step ahead of me almost all the time.

I still haven't figured out how he knows I'm about to give him a bath, but the boy makes himself scarce well before I start looking for him. Never hides in the same place twice, either.

I think mine is secretly plotting to take over the world and just pretends to be Goofy from Disney.

My 2 1/2 year old male Cane Corso has taught himself a few things that make me believe he is above average intelligence.

Every night my English Bulldog is placed in her kennel and I slide a pin in to the top to keep the door closed. One night I put her up and 5 min later here she comes, so I put her up again. Once more she comes walking out. Now I am curious how she is getting out so after placing her back in I hide and watch and see my male Corso walk up to the cage and grab the pin with his teeth and pull it out. He then uses his big paw and kicks the door in to let her out.

Lately he has been trying to turn the door knobs when he wants out. This morning he was in our bedroom with the in swing door shut against the jamb. My wife watched him grab the door knob and turn it and pull it open to let himself out. If I could get him to use the trimmer and mow the yard I would be good.

Smart damn dog.

Teach him to use and flush

Back
Top Bottom