• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Last Will and Testament - Who gets your stuff

hat674

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
As so many of us age and are much, much closer to the end than the beginning, I am curious what everyone's plans are for the day we move on to that "happy hunting ground". Who will take hold of your treasured hunting and shooting gear and all such memories?

Personally, my son will lay claim to most of my firearms, reloading, supplies, trophies, etc, etc, for my daughter has no desire for anything. Even though he will have full rights and does some hunting, he is not a big hunter, collector nor shooter and has never reloaded since leaving home decades ago. Thus, after he picks a few items to keep, I fear most of my valued collection will be sold off.

I'm thinking along those lines right now. My wife has a son that is a homeless drug addict and would rather stay that way than to go to rehab and get a job. I won't let him live here so when I go I am thinking about letting the house be sold and if my wife wants to live in an assisted care facility, the money can go toward that provided her son isn't benefiting off my demise.

All my personal stuff? That is a good question. Too bad there aren't more young people wanting to learn things and help out aging people just for the friendship.

When my father passed a few years back. I inherited his firearms and such. It was really important to me and my father that I got them. We both made it clear to the rest of the family of our wants/wishes. I enjoyed very much doing outdoor events with my father. There is one thing that I wish he would have shared with me and that is details on every gun item that he had. Even today as I go through what I inherited, there are items that I don't know what it goes to, "scope mounts and such". I would have also enjoyed hearing more about how he acquired some items.

Definitely make sure your family is aware of your wishes. Even if you don't have a family member that wants your stuff, think of a good friend that you know would appreciate the items and let them in for a conversation with your family.

Back
Top Bottom