• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to purchase a new AR any suggestions?

I agree that economy of scale is a thing, but I don't buy into it in the FN/PSA question. I guarantee that PSA bought a metric crap-ton of barrels from FN, but they're able to sell them cheaper than FN themselves is selling them for.

FN has more FN barrels than PSA has.

FN has the ability to make all the barrels that FN wants.

FN makes the barrels for themselves, so there is no "middle man markup".

How is PSA able to sell the EXACT same barrels for less than the company that makes them can? My favorite answer to that question is that they are not the exact same barrels.

That's all speculation in my opinion. Has anyone like SOTAR ever did a direct comparison of a FN barrel bought from FN vs one bought from PSA?

I'd interested in that. Because that letter clearly states the barrels "wouldn't be unsuitable for FN's own commercial purposes"

Lots of products can be bought cheaper from other vendors than they can the actual manufacturer.

Brownells routinely sells Aero Precision parts for much cheaper than buying them directly from Areo Precision.

How do they do this, does Areo Precision make subpar parts exclusively for Brownells? I don't think so.

I have a build with a BA Hanson barrel and they are very, very , very good barrels and usually the least expensive barrel I will buy. I have to admit I am a big fan of that design. It's accurate beyond it's price point and soft shooting. They are truly an excellent barrel design.

Now about FN barrels. FN has their own specs and specialized processes when they make their barrels for their company. That's what that's what makes their barrels special and makes them unique to the FN brand. They aren't going to take all of that research and development and product testing and just make barrels and hand them over to the competition. That would be the stupidest thing I've ever heard and against everything that goes against the free market. They may make barrels for different companies but they are not the same exact Barrel they offer under the FN product line and SKU numbers. They make make barrels for other companies that say made by FN but I guarantee you they are not the same specs and quality control measures that are done on their line of barrels. To even think that they would do that it's quite simply ridiculous and completely void of of keeping special build processes and Metallurgical differences a secret. Just to give up those secrets in Hand them out would be completely asinine. So in short no I don't believe they give those company Secrets out to just anybody that orders barrels and I believe they keep them totally to themselves. Any orders that are built for a different company are going to be made to that companies specs and not to FN specs. I don't see how anybody could think that there would be no difference.
Nothing special about FN barrels. They basically kept a copy of the TDP that the Army gave out when they were not supposed to since it is owned by Colt and that is how FN finally got the contract with the military. Colt sued the Army for releasing the TDP and they settled the case by saying they would have everyone who received a copy return it and sign a non disclosure agreement and FN refused to do so. In other words, FN barrels are made to Colt's specs for the weapons they designed for the military.

I have an account with magpul but I can buy their products cheaper from RSR than I can directly from magpul. It is the same parts, same packaging. This is true of many products in the firearms world.

Back
Top Bottom