• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to purchase a new AR any suggestions?

I have a build with a BA Hanson barrel and they are very, very , very good barrels and usually the least expensive barrel I will buy. I have to admit I am a big fan of that design. It's accurate beyond it's price point and soft shooting. They are truly an excellent barrel design.

Now about FN barrels. FN has their own specs and specialized processes when they make their barrels for their company. That's what that's what makes their barrels special and makes them unique to the FN brand. They aren't going to take all of that research and development and product testing and just make barrels and hand them over to the competition. That would be the stupidest thing I've ever heard and against everything that goes against the free market. They may make barrels for different companies but they are not the same exact Barrel they offer under the FN product line and SKU numbers. They make make barrels for other companies that say made by FN but I guarantee you they are not the same specs and quality control measures that are done on their line of barrels. To even think that they would do that it's quite simply ridiculous and completely void of of keeping special build processes and Metallurgical differences a secret. Just to give up those secrets in Hand them out would be completely asinine. So in short no I don't believe they give those company Secrets out to just anybody that orders barrels and I believe they keep them totally to themselves. Any orders that are built for a different company are going to be made to that companies specs and not to FN specs. I don't see how anybody could think that there would be no difference.

Big dumbass wall of text destroyed by a simple letter from FN themselves. You're the exact reason people can't get good advice on sites like this.
po4k3tpsnqj41.jpg

Big dumbass wall of text destroyed by a simple letter from FN themselves. You're the exact reason people can't get good advice on sites like this. View attachment 5371695

That's the letter I referenced earlier, and it doesn't answer the question that was asked of FN.

The question was if FN makes similar barrels to different specs for different companies, specifically PSA. When you read the letter, FN never answers the question. They state that the barrels "meet or exceed FN's print specifications......", but they don't state WHICH specifications those are.

A company can have many different sets of specifications for a different product. Stating that a product was made to "print specifications" is too vague to definitively answer the question.

I testified in court, and trained folks to testify in court, for well over 20 years. I know what obfuscation is when I see/hear it.

If FN wanted to definitively answer the question as they were asked, all they had to state was "The barrels made by FN and sold to PSA are made to the same specifications as the barrels that we sell through our own site and contract to the US military", or, "All barrels made by FN and sold to any of our purchasers are made to the exact same specifications", or some variation thereof. That would have answered the question exactly, and left no room for doubt. Instead, they left it vague. I've talked to folks that worked at PSA, and FN's intentional failure to properly close the door on that issue corresponds with the info that I've been given; FN has different specs for different barrels, and the ones they sell to PSA aren't the same barrels that FN sells to the public for more money.

This is an international company, and all they do is overseen by lawyers and such. Their omission in that letter was not due to poor communication skills. It was a coat of whitewash over the issue.

I agree that economy of scale is a thing, but I don't buy into it in the FN/PSA question. I guarantee that PSA bought a metric crap-ton of barrels from FN, but they're able to sell them cheaper than FN themselves is selling them for.

FN has more FN barrels than PSA has.

FN has the ability to make all the barrels that FN wants.

FN makes the barrels for themselves, so there is no "middle man markup".

How is PSA able to sell the EXACT same barrels for less than the company that makes them can? My favorite answer to that question is that they are not the exact same barrels.

Big dumbass wall of text destroyed by a simple letter from FN themselves. You're the exact reason people can't get good advice on sites like this. View attachment 5371695
I stand corrected! You criticize this site but I never see you offer anything ( besides that letter) to help anyone. All you do is crack wise. That's it nothing more. When you offer good advise besides ( buy and KAC and be done with it ) then I will give what comes out of your mouth some attention. Until then it's just elephant farts. There are other options that can be done or built that members can benefit from. You are very careful what you say deathly afraid someone will disagree. You laugh at Aero Precision like it's Bantha fada. I have built dozens and dozens of rifles for people using AP parts to keep it in their budget and not one has come back. They are still running like sewing machines. Some creeping up on ten years. So until you start offering good, usable info for high line crowd and budget crowd just stick with the jokes because at this point that's all you are good for and you are selective with that as well. You don't bother me one bit. I am above it!

Back
Top Bottom