MAK-90 3-pin **Read before buying/trading**

Hasselhoss

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
168   0
Reaction score
There have been quite a few Mak-90's getting sold and traded on the site lately. They are some of the best AK-variants available and are built like tanks. I have personally sold 3 and noticed that many of the people that asked about trading were not really familiar with these particular guns. So, with that in mind I just wanted to post a picture of a rifle I ran across a few weeks ago. The gun was an excellent-condition Mak90 with beautiful wood furniture and was pre-stamped for an underfolder. The price was right and I set up a meeting with the seller.

I asked for some close-up pictures and liked what I saw... right up to the point where I saw the picture below. This particular gun was marked with "LABANU INC, Ronkonkoma, NY" as the importer. (not all rifles imported by Labanu are affected, they just seem to have gotten the lion's share of them) If you look above the magazine catch you will see that there are three rivets in a triangle pattern. The lower left pin should not be there and makes this gun an illegal "machine gun" in the eyes of the ATF. The fact that the hole is plugged means nothing and possession of this gun is a federal crime. If you come across one, do not buy it.

i212.photobucket.com_albums_cc81_jbabbler_milsurplus_pix235794575.jpg

The picture below shows a Mak90 receiver without the "evil pin" or "evil hole".

i212.photobucket.com_albums_cc81_jbabbler_milsurplus_pix513134343.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice to know! Now all I need is to find one!! Hoss is my local AK guru....now he's keeping people out of prison. Reminds me of my D.A.R.E. officer in elementary school.....educates and saves us from jail!

Big thanks for the tip hoss!!! Should someone possession one what would be the way to legally "get rid of it?" Imagine selling that to a fed by accident, seems they're all over now

If you were to find yourself in possession of one, I would strip it down to the bare receiver and demil it by cutting it in half with a plasma cutter or torch. Then, I would buy a 1.6mm receiver and build it back up.

edited for accuracy, thanks NWS.

Technically cutting it with w ban saw isn't good enough. It needs to be torch cut to remove a significant amount of metal so it cannot be welded back. The owners of IO inc found them selves in jail over selling bansaw cut parts kits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom