• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

man up thread

I have had one AD and have had some scary situations shooting. Working up a new load in my 7mm mag dad put a half charge standard in the casing and I did not pay attention and put a full charge in the casing and seated the brass, loaded the round and settled in behind the scope and touched off of the round. It scared me poopless as the scope crashed into my forehead slid off and split my nose open. Ears were ringing and my face was bleeding. It split the casing to the base and took both hands to get the bolt to move and the brass out of the chamber. I still bear the scare on my nose from this happening and always check brass before working on a load on a bench.

I used to work at the Kansas Trap Associations range filling traps and was inside one when a shooter had a weapon malfunction with his Beretta autoloader. The slide stop switch did not work and the sear malfunctioned causing the firearm to unload a full magazine (6 rounds) into the trap I was in. Pellets entered the slit on the trap above my head and bounced around inside the trap one severing the hydraulic lines on the trap causing me to get cover in fluid as the trap tried to turn. The trap burned up its pump causing it to smoke causing me to exit post haste into live fire. The local volunteer firemen were shooting that day and handled the smoking pump and checked me out for wounds and flushed my eyes for any hydraulic fluid in them.

Last one was a malfunction with a rifle and bad ammunition. DPMS sweet 16 bull barrel and BVAC ammunition at the range malfunctioned. The firing pin struck the primer like normal on an AR and something in the load malfunctioned causing a discharge when chambering a round. I ejected the next round, locked the bolt and put the gun away. I took it to the local gun shop and they could not find anything wrong with it and it would not discharge any ammunition into their tank when they chambered over 90 rounds through it. The 5 people around me can attest to the fact that I did not have a finger on the trigger with just my hand wrapped around the grip frame. Thank god the rifle was pointed in a safe direction and the round hit the berm instead of heading towards the road that is 300 yards past the berm.

I have only told a few people these incidents and they make me feel super conscious when I shoot or handle my weapons.

Yeah, but chances are close to zero that you will have an AD on your couch if you don't chamber a round while playing/cleaning/adjusting/whatever your gun on your couch. What you said goes without saying.

I think that three out of 1,000,000 rounds fired is, by anyone's definition, "close to zero" chance. And, by the way, two of the three were in the process of clearing the weapon after firing. So, I guess if you never fire the weapon that would have eliminated two of the three.

Next time you are at any indoor range look at the lane dividers, ceiling, bench, etc. for holes. Really makes you start to think about the idiots that are holding loaded guns less than 2 feet away from you on a busy evening.

I havent had a AD yet but I have a friend who has had three that I know of. He shot out his passenger window while decocking a H&K 45. Then he shot my garage while unloading a 12 gauge. Luckily both times there where no injuries.

38 this year. Handling guns and hunting since approx 8. Man. I must supremely lucky. I was taught by the most responsible man I have ever know. My fathers father.

I have never had an AD. Doesn't mean it won't happen, but I always assume any gun is loaded, as almost all of you do.

When I was 14 and dove hunting in Big Wells Texas, another teen ( another hunters son) was tracking across his right and I was hit with his 12 gauge. I was approx 30 yards. Peppered my back. I was so furious.

To this day, I barely shoot at ranges and NEVER hunt with someone I don't know VERY WELL. only go to ranges in middle of day and week, when empty.

Glad most of these stories have positive endings.

Living in a large apartment building in a large complex, I rarely chamber a round. It's difficult to find a safe direction to point a weapon. I typically have one pistol chambered and holstered. Rifles are never chambered in the apartment.

The only dumb move I've made with guns was purchasing a walther p22. barf

Back
Top Bottom