• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Mechanics - what cars do you repair the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have owned a very nice KIA Optima for several years with zero warranty work and best warranties in the business. Infiniti for two years and in the shop every six months for recalls or repairs. Check engine light is on now! Will trade Infiniti within the year for KIA Telluride before 60K bumper to bumper expires.
Lemme tell you about my Kia before you go buy another.

I have a Toyota pickup with the 22RE motor. It has 278,000+ miles on it and it is just clicking away. I rebuilt the head gasket in 2017 and have done calipers, brakes, oil changes etc. Runs pretty good. In 2007 in GA I had the transmission rebuilt because it was slipping.

It stinks and rattles and is noisy, but goes and goes and goes.

Reactions: GFB
Here you go. Scroll down to the bottom for the brand chart. https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2019-us-vehicle-dependability-studyvds
I find Porsche and Honda's ratings hard to believe.
Honda is generally a good product but they do some really stupid over engineering sometimes. That makes for a lot of shop visits for mostly minor but sometimes really costly repairs. Vtec is a good example of unnecessary over engineering. Purely marketing wank on hondas part. When your car goes into limp mode because of a vtec component failure and forces a shop visit, thats absurd. But thats their claim to fame so they continue to do it. Terrible automatic transmissions in prior years. Oil leaks that wont stop. Etc. I can see that rating being accurate.

I drove Dodge and Chrysler all my life never had issues. Had couple Chrysler 300s with 200k+ miles sold both of them. Couple PT Cruisers hit 150k+ before sold, now i drive a Grand Caravan 220k miles still rolling did water pump and all rotors and brakes 60k miles ago just oil changes and thats all. Wife now has a PT Cruiser i paid $1200 2008 with 60k miles been driving that thing 3 yrs 2.4 liter turbo. Never had a Honda or Toyota it all depends on maintenance in my opinion. I do oil changes, transmission fluid as well as coolants, fix leaks and just drive. Chrysler and Dodge need oil changes and your in business

I drove Dodge and Chrysler all my life never had issues. Had couple Chrysler 300s with 200k+ miles sold both of them. Couple PT Cruisers hit 150k+ before sold, now i drive a Grand Caravan 220k miles still rolling did water pump and all rotors and brakes 60k miles ago just oil changes and thats all. Wife now has a PT Cruiser i paid $1200 2008 with 60k miles been driving that thing 3 yrs 2.4 liter turbo. Never had a Honda or Toyota it all depends on maintenance in my opinion. I do oil changes, transmission fluid as well as coolants, fix leaks and just drive. Chrysler and Dodge need oil changes and your in business
If you dont already buy lotto tickets, you should start :nod:

Honda is generally a good product but they do some really stupid over engineering sometimes. That makes for a lot of shop visits for mostly minor but sometimes really costly repairs. Vtec is a good example of unnecessary over engineering. Purely marketing wank on hondas part. When your car goes into limp mode because of a vtec component failure and forces a shop visit, thats absurd. But thats their claim to fame so they continue to do it. Terrible automatic transmissions in prior years. Oil leaks that wont stop. Etc. I can see that rating being accurate.
That’s the kind of info I’m looking for, thanks.....What models do people assume are great that have hidden problems?

This will be my 4th in 2 years. I’m tired of buying vehicles and want one to last ten years. Problem is I drove 25k miles per year. Car buy buying sucks.

That’s the kind of info I’m looking for, thanks.....What models do people assume are great that have hidden problems?

This will be my 4th in 2 years. I’m tired of buying vehicles and want one to last ten years. Problem is I drove 25k miles per year. Car buy buying sucks.

Why have you bought FOUR cars in two years ?

That’s a lot of $$$

Wrecked them ?

I buy used ones at auctions or from friends or family that are trading them in on new ones
I ask them to, when the sales weasel asks about a trade in , to tell them they are planning on giving it to their daughter or whatever , and then once the out the door price is finalized
Then mention you might want to trade it in . That way the trade value is not inflated , it’s the real price , and then they call me with the price the stealership offers for the trade in and usually I will buy it.

I Got a one owner 06 4wd expedition w 90k miles for $3,500 and a one owner 02 4wd Jeep Liberty with 160k for $550 in the last year .

My wife’s sister and husband used to buy Honda’s , he’s a traveling salesman and rolls up a lot of miles
They have switched over to Hyundai / Kia and he’s on his second or third one and he’s had zero problems , he buys a new one when he gets about 200k on em

If you want a mid size SUV you can’t go wrong with a 4 runner
They ride a little rougher than the car based cute utes but are much more sturdy and they hold their value very well , when it’s time to sell

Most people worry a lot about the mpg of a new car , but never think about the depreciation, which costs you a lot lot lot more than the gas .
Especially if you churn cars every couple of years

My brother gets a new crew cab 4wd pickup ever three or four years .
Costs him more than $1000 a month in depreciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom