• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most overrated and underrated rifle cartridges

.280 Rem is perfect example of marketing and timing having everything to do with a calibers success.
Yep. If the 280/7mm Express would have come out first, there would have never been a 270. Jack O'conner mister 270 said the 280 is better. He liked it better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If we are talking hunting ammo, I would say the 45/70 is under rated. This thing is deadly out to 200yrd. It’s slow and hard hitting so it doesn’t mess up the meat like a fast shooting round. It has been my new love in hunting rounds.

22 S/L/LR/WMR has always both, over-rated and under-rated, sometimes by the same person. It has its place and really is great for what it is, but some folks are just stupid, so...... yeah.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

7.62x39 is under rated. For most hunting in GA, it will get the job done all day, every day. Most of us will not take a shot on an animal much over 100 yards (20-50 yrds is more likely for deer). Now for target and long range shooting, it will often up short; but it wasn't really designed for that. Shot placement always wins in the end anyway.

223 overrated. you can carry a lot of rounds, but it's hardly a step up from varmint rounds (head towards 6.8spc if you want performance in the AR15 platform- if only Remington hadn't screwed up the chamber specs)

280 underrated as others have stated. single shot, pump or bolt. it's all good in the hood. love mine. need to find a good bolt gun some day (#1 and 7600 so far). Maybe a 280AI barrel for a Nucleus action?

Back
Top Bottom