• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My eyes aren't what they once were I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Bypass

Army Icon Lifetime Supporter
One nation under GOD Father of Jesus my Savior.
146   0
Reaction score
Rifle scopes distort with my glasses and red dots look more like red blurs. Iron sights are getting a little blurred now as well.

Have any of you guys found the miracle sight that fixes all that?

If your optical prescription includes astigmatism, red dots will never be the same. If you want that kind of experience, a prism sight might work better for you.

With tube optics, and depending on the strength of the prescription, you should be able to get some improvement in focus and reduced distortion by just adjusting the focus - there usually is one at the ocular end of the scope.

Iron sights - as long as you're not Mr. Magoo, the only thing you need in focus is the front blade - and if your standard prescription doesn't put that blade in focus, consider getting your opthamologist to prescribe a set of polycarbonate safety lenses that do, and have them set up as your range eye-pro.

If none of those work for you, consider getting one of these (known as 'diopters'):

Sharp Sight Pinhole

Or maybe these

EyePal

I have one that is similar to the Sharp Sight, but I haven't actually tried these specific items out. Lyman used to make one called the "Hawkeye" but it looks like they discontinued them.

If you've ever used (and appreciated) how a peep sight works, you'll "get" how these work. They won't work miracles, but they'll help - unless your vision is REALLY bad.

In for better ideas......
So far, best I've come up with for my carry guns is Night Fision sights using a crisp yellow dot (tritium) front sight with a non outlined serrated rear sight. Still hard to bring into focus without my reading glasses though.

I have a macular pucker in my right eye, it is like looking through a shower glass. I’ve had to relearn to shoot a handgun tilting my head so that it forces dominance in my left eye. I am at the point where for any rifle shooting at distance or low light I’m going to have to shoot lefty. My astigmatism has never allowed me to shoot red dots for anything other than close fast work like bowling pins. Low power scopes such as the Leupold CQB work well for me on defensive rifles As long as distance is not extreme and light is not to low.
growing old kinda sucks.

Growing old ain't for wimps. I've heard that a few times. Yes, my eyes aren't what they used to be. I don't have a great deal of trouble, but it ain't what it used to be. Fortunately I'm a great point shooter. For distance, scopes are great

"Miracle sight" for red dots (for carbines / rifles) is a flip up rear sight behind the red dot. Flip it up and look through it, and the starburst red dot is magically a regular dot again.

This is the fix for longer distance shooting. For up close leave the sight down and just put the starburst in the middle of the offender's chest. Getting old ain't for the weak, but at least we're vertical.

I use bifocals , but my daughter who's in the glasses business sent me 5 pair of glasses just with my distance prescription, I went to Bulls-Eye range last week and hit a bulls eyes or head shot with a shot dead center. This worked for me, by the way I suck with a Red-Dot, was never taught how to use one!

For short-range optics I find the prism sights like the Vortex Spitfire are better than red dots. They are a bit heavier but they always seem a lot crisper to me, and no fuzzy red blob.

For irons, I still prefer peep sights on long guns. Those seem to work well even with older eyes.

Back
Top Bottom