• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need help from Jeep Wrangler owners!

I'd rent one for a week
Take it on your normal trips and see how you like it

It might be so noisy you can talk on the phone
Or you may need to use the headset and boom mic that the truckers use

A wrangler is also like a Toyota truck
They hold their value so good that you might as well buy a new one

I have a 2012 JKU that I have put over 100K on. Yep its my daily driver. Yep it has some quirks. Love it. Yes it only gets 15-16 mpg and yes its loud with out the hard top, but I still love it after almost 4 years. I have had all kinds of cars, from Porsche 911's to Toyo trucks to accords and I keep coming back to Jeeps.

Thank you so much to all those who replied with their opinions!

I'm okay with some wind noise, I've owned a bunch of convertibles so I'm used to that. I've rented a four door Jeep with a soft top and both loved the ease of taking the top down in nice weather, but also got stuck in an unexpected rain storm and it took my wife and I like 10 minutes to get the top up. I'm sure it speeds up with practice but it still seems like it's a two person job.

I get a healthy gas allowance for my job so it will absorb most of the needed gas.

Funny, seems to be very polar opinions on reliability. I guess everyone can get a lemon.

Any options I should make sure I get? Is rubicon really worth extra money over Sahara?

Again, thanks for all the options.

Loved mine. Had a 98 Tj for 10 years. But sold it when I just wasn't driving it enough to justify keeping it (picture attached will explain why). Like everyone has said. They are loads of fun in nice weather but not a dd. They will bleed you dry and tend to suck up funds in "customization".

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 23
Thank you so much to all those who replied with their opinions!

I'm okay with some wind noise, I've owned a bunch of convertibles so I'm used to that. I've rented a four door Jeep with a soft top and both loved the ease of taking the top down in nice weather, but also got stuck in an unexpected rain storm and it took my wife and I like 10 minutes to get the top up. I'm sure it speeds up with practice but it still seems like it's a two person job.

I get a healthy gas allowance for my job so it will absorb most of the needed gas.

Funny, seems to be very polar opinions on reliability. I guess everyone can get a lemon.

Any options I should make sure I get? Is rubicon really worth extra money over Sahara?

Again, thanks for all the options.

Rubicon is the way to go if you actually plan to offroad it as they're lifted a bit and have upgraded axles. Sahara has a nicer interior a painted trim on the exterior.

edit to add...get the 2 top package and dana 44 axles.

I have one as my EDD. But I knew what I was getting before I bought it. Bear in mind that you will have almost no storage space, which I still find difficult having transitioned from a Grand Cherokee Laredo. And it is not the most comfortable thing to drive. You might want to consider an SUV with a sunroof, if you're going to be in it all day long. I think you would be happier. You can always buy an older used one for the weekends.

Just sold my 02 TJ soft top. I would highly recommend a hard top for a DD. I thought I would miss it but I don't. Maybe because I replaced it with one of my long time dream vehicles. it was a fun second vehicle but I wouldn't want it for a DD and it was the best driving TJ I have ever driven. The newer 4 doors may be better. As others have said, rent one for a week or two and that will tell you a lot.

Jeeps make great second vehicles, but not main or only rides. I had a great CJ7. Driving it for three hours wore me out. It was fun in town and off-road, but not so much for commuting.

Back
Top Bottom