• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Negligent discharges.... fault of gun or the person using it?

Person using it... duh. Lack of training with new firearm I know has something to do with it as well. Always easier to pass the blame.

"A former Los Angeles Police Department officer who was paralyzed when his 3-year-old son shot him with a Glock has sued the gun manufacturer and others, alleging that the light trigger pull and lack of a safety mechanism contributed to the accident."

Yeah, couldn't have been failure to secure your weapon.

Always looking to avoid personal responsibility. It's the user not the weapon.

"A former Los Angeles Police Department officer who was paralyzed when his 3-year-old son shot him with a Glock has sued the gun manufacturer and others, alleging that the light trigger pull and lack of a safety mechanism contributed to the accident."

Yeah, couldn't have been failure to secure your weapon.

Always looking to avoid personal responsibility. It's the user not the weapon.

The majority & possibly all of the training community agrees with you.

The best brakes in the world does not make you a safe driver.
I will agree that some platforms are less forgiving than others.
The unfortunate reality is too few people in the gun community seek out professional instruction which is a shame considering how much of it is available, & even more affordable now that there are so many options out there.

Last edited:
Every time you pick up a Smith and Wesson(and possibly any brand) with a magazine dis-connector you are handling PROOF that the courts decided that the GUN MANUFACTURER is the negligent party, not the moron in whose hands the gun resides when someone is shot unintentionally.

Basically, lawyers explain that suing the deepest pockets, regardless of ACTUAL fault, is the most profitable for both litigants AND litigious lawyers.

Every time you pick up a Smith and Wesson(and possibly any brand) with a magazine dis-connector you are handling PROOF that the courts decided that the GUN MANUFACTURER is the negligent party, not the moron in whose hands the gun resides when someone is shot unintentionally.
im following you. Do you know the case by any chance? I would like to look at it

I do not remember the actual case. It was back in the 80's. It was a first gen S&W Semi auto and the case was the baby sitter of a boy about 10 had her boyfriends over. The BF found the boys fathers gun. When the boy told him he wasn't supposed to be playing with daddy's gun he dropped the mag, said "see it's safe" and shot the boy. I was still fairly new to guns at the time but I remember reading the article about it. I think Massad Ayoob was the one reporting on it.

Back
Top Bottom