• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Negotiating with those who get their feelings hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does every lowball offer even deserve a reply? Any sort of reply?
What if the lowballer isn't really interested in your product per se, but makes a business / hobby out of going to all the B/S/T ads and making lowball offers on everything. If he gets somebody to sell him something at significantly less than fair market value, he calls that a win. It strokes his ego. Gives him a thrill. Then, he can turn around and flip it (probably on a different site).

I don't think such habitual lowballers deserve any reply. It's just like getting SPAM e-mail or junk mail in your mailbox at the end of your driveway. Toss it as soon as you recognize it for what it is.

If I send you a PM, and you don't reply, after being on the site, I usually send you another PM informing you that there will be no need in replying, due to you being placed on ignore. If you were standing face to face with someone would you not answer, if they asked you a question?

Just because someone "overpaid" doesn't really mean that it's worth what they paid.

I've bought many new firearms from a brick and mortar store 12 miles from my house, for way less than I see used ones priced on here.

Does every lowball offer even deserve a reply? Any sort of reply?
What if the lowballer isn't really interested in your product per se, but makes a business / hobby out of going to all the B/S/T ads and making lowball offers on everything. If he gets somebody to sell him something at significantly less than fair market value, he calls that a win. It strokes his ego. Gives him a thrill. Then, he can turn around and flip it (probably on a different site).

I don't think such habitual lowballers deserve any reply. It's just like getting SPAM e-mail or junk mail in your mailbox at the end of your driveway. Toss it as soon as you recognize it for what it is.

I don't have a problem responding to all PM's.

I guess I'm over reacting to the rather large number of alleged sellers who post an ad, then apparently immediately leave to walk the Appalachian Trail, or join a monastery.

negotiating a deal should be an acceptable practice right? How do you come to a mutual agreement on any sale or trade item when the person on the other side of the table just shuts off any communication because they got their feelings hurt after the initial offer? Or in some cases doesn't even respond at all. Geez...there are some thin skinned adults around.

What ever happened to basic manners? I offered $280 and can pick up today for a $300 pistol. The answer was "No."

A week later they responded that they would do it because they needed the cash. My response? "No."

I don't have a problem responding to all PM's.

I guess I'm over reacting to the rather large number of alleged sellers who post an ad, then apparently immediately leave to walk the Appalachian Trail, or join a monastery.

Those usually have really low FB numbers.

What ever happened to basic manners? I offered $280 and can pick up today for a $300 pistol. The answer was "No."

A week later they responded that they would do it because they needed the cash. My response? "No."

Then I counter offer with $240.00 and they come to me. lol

If the AD says "FIRM" then negotiations is off.
If the AD says "OBO" then all offers should be ok for negotiation.
If the AD says neither, then "who the hell knows until you ask".
A non reply on my offer means "no thanks" or a "hell no thanks" which is fine with me.
I normally make a offer with a "if interested PM me, "if not interested, carry on and have a nice day".
Ain't got time for butt hurt or placing someone on the ignore list over buying/selling/trading BS.
Just treat folks like you want them to treat you and most of the time "life is good".

Good discussion OP.

If the AD says "FIRM" then negotiations is off.
If the AD says "OBO" then all offers should be ok for negotiation.
If the AD says neither, then "who the hell knows until you ask".
A non reply on my offer means "no thanks" or a "hell no thanks" which is fine with me.
I normally make a offer with a "if interested PM me, "if not interested, carry on and have a nice day".
Ain't got time for butt hurt or placing someone on the ignore list over buying/selling/trading BS.
Just treat folks like you want them to treat you and most of the time "life is good".

Good discussion OP.

I've had less than firm offers accepted.
I've had items shipped from the preselected "NO" shipping.

A non reply means they are a rude asshat, and I really don't have time for that.

If they ignore my PM, then I can only assume they also know the "Golden Rule" and I ignore them.
That's about as "do unto others as you can get".

It actually only takes about a half of a second to place someone on ignore, but it can take a while to figure out that this is the same asshat that you should have ignored a while back.

If the price says "asking" $XXX, I am more inclined to make an offer if I feel the price is off. However, to me, asking means negotiable. I have found to others, it is not, so I move on.

When I sell, my wording on rock solid pricing is Firm or " I need $XXX for it...".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom