• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Never invite a killer to your property

Sadly being nice can come back to bite you. For most thats a buck of a lifetime but doesn’t matter if he had been 3x as big theres no excuse

I was in Kansas a long time ago trying to film a muzzleloader deer hunt for a television show. We hunted hard for a week but hot weather and uncut corn fields made hunting tough. The last day we had before having to leave I was talking to a local business owner who was also a trophy hunter. I had known him for years and hunted a property adjacent to his farm in previous years.

I stopped in his shop around lunch on our last day...just visiting. When he heard that we had not taken a buck he was quiet a few minutes and then just looked at me for a minute. Then he quietly said that he knew a place on his farm where a decent 8pt hung out. "If you promise to never ask me in the future to come back...then you can go hunt that 8." he says. I replied "I didn't ask you to hunt today!" with a smile. He smiled back and said that a monster 12 was in the same area...he had been hunting it during bow season earlier that year without success yet. So he gave me permission to hunt the 8 with express agreement that I would NOT shoot the 12 under any circumstances.
I agreed quickly and thanked him.
We set up where he told us to and took the 8 on camera 2 hours later. I took the deer back to the shop owner and put him on camera while offering to buy him dinner.
He took the big 12 later in the season.
I can promise you that the big 12 could have laid down under my stand and been safe from me.
And that guy is still my friend.

I stopped hunting a couple of decades ago while I was married and haven't had the opportunity to start up again but I know for a fact that even after all those years if the deal was 'does only' I wouldn't have shot that buck.
Maybe that makes me a fool but at this point in my life my word is about all I have.
Well said.

I "used" to have a friend who always asked me to take him hunting, being a friend I would put him in a good spot, never failed he always shot one. You did see I said used to have a friend, right.

Back
Top Bottom