Never know who you're gonna meet.

I can't believe I forgot. I met Royce Gracie a couple of years ago. I was also fortunate enough to sit in on a class he was teaching. No pics because none were allowed. The details of the techniques he taught were amazing. The smallest thing could change it from ineffective to completely dominating your opponent. Incredible skill set.
Royce is the man!

in 95 or 96 i was visiting a friend who lived in New Orleans, we went to Decatur street to watch some local bands play, this weirdo was at the bar, and when my friends wife went to get us refills he started hitting on her. or at least my friend thought so. him being a marine, he went up to the dude and punched the hell out of him. a huge ruckus started so we were able to get out. the guy he punched was Marylin Manson. didn't meet him but i figured some of you guys would like that!

Only celebrity I can recall ever running into was Clint Eastwood. I was in college at Gwinnett Tech and they were using part of the computer sciences building to film part of the movie where Tom Hanks is an airline pilot. I saw Clint walking by as I was on my way to a class. I didn't bother to speak to him. Just thought to myself, Hey that's Clint Eastwood, cool. He is one of the few celebrities I wouldn't mind sitting down and having a drink with, but pretty sure we both had more important things to do at the time. Tom Hanks was supposedly there too, but I never saw him.

I mowed Sam Wyche's lawn when he lived in Greenville, SC in the early 70s. I was in high school at the time, and he paid more than my other clients. Back then, mowing averaged $5 per yard which was good money. He lived up the street in our middle-class neighborhood. He was a quarterback for the Washington Redskins at the time.

Some years back I was an outside auditor auditing the CNN/TBS/Braves/Cartoon Network/Wrestling/etc conglomerate and one morning saw Ted Turner and Jane Fonda entering their private elevator to the penthouse suite. I wanted to let Jane know my opinion of her Hanoi visit, but security would not allow me to get close enough to have an intimate conversation. On another occasion, I met Ray Guy, NFL punter, at a golf tournament and got his autograph on a scorecard. Thanks.

my gra
I have vague memories of a couple celebs my family met when I was just a little kid.

My Dad's job in the mid 1960s with General Electric required occasionally spending a month or 2 in Phoenix, AZ for training on learning how to track down problems with mainframe computers. The couple of times this happened, he would rent an apartment and the entire family would go with him. He would have to fly out to different cities to diagnose and fix problems, and we would usually go to the airport to drop him off or pick him up.

The thing about Phoenix at the time was it was close to Flagstaff, and celebs would fly there and drive (or be driven) to Flagstaff. I guess it was a big draw to celebs back in the day.

So it wasn't unusual to see celebs in that airport at the time.

My Dad got pics of me and my sister with several of them, but these 2 stand out. Donna Douglas (Elly May on Beverly Hillbillies) was not so nice - lol. But we were mere peasants. She just pretty much blew us off, but I get it - it probably happened so much to her she was sick of it.

Dick Van Dyke was huge at the time, probably about the time Mary Poppins was released. Ken Curtis played Festus on Gunsmoke, and probably some other shows and movies.
What struck me about these 2 was they were so friendly and had no problem taking a few minutes posing for pics with me and my sister. That speaks to the character of these guys in that they would take time out for a few pics with the common folk. That I will always remember and respect about these 2 guys.

My sister's glasses still crack me up
my grandma went to school with Dick Van Dyke ..
Paul Orndorff was a customer for a while. sold him a few ATV's for his grandkids.

Some years back I was an outside auditor auditing the CNN/TBS/Braves/Cartoon Network/Wrestling/etc conglomerate and one morning saw Ted Turner and Jane Fonda entering their private elevator to the penthouse suite. I wanted to let Jane know my opinion of her Hanoi visit, but security would not allow me to get close enough to have an intimate conversation. On another occasion, I met Ray Guy, NFL punter, at a golf tournament and got his autograph on a scorecard. Thanks.
Former coworker said she was walking thru the ATL airport and stopped to sit in one of those airline wheelchairs for a minute. Voice over her shoulder asked if she needed a push. She responded with something like "No, I'm just resting."
Then she thought the voice was familiar. Turned around, and saw Ted Turner walking away.
(Before he was involved with Jane, I think.)

Back
Top Bottom