No Box No Papers No Deal!

I keep all my old boxes and only pull them out when I am going to sell or trade. Besides, they usually have the s/n on the side. This works as an additional backup if your gun is ever stolen and you need to report the s/n and don't have access to any other records of it.

I think that may be too paranoid. Selling on the
Internet leaves a trail. Sell it on the street leaves very little trace.

I keep my boxes, If it had one to begin with. I'm always perusing gun and pawn shops for great deals and most often the great deals don't include the box.

Here's some food for thought for those who don't keep their boxes. I had a handgun box I picked up from inside a house that was getting demolished. I just thought it was cool. It was vintage form the early 70's and had the paperwork in it. After seeing lots of reproductions available on Ebay, I put just the box up for sale. I sold the box to someone who was glad to get it in 17 minutes for roughly 40% of what the gun sold for new :) The repros on ebay were bringing significantly more than what I sold it for.

BHJ, that was me. And it wasn't just any old box, it was a box that I needed. When I sold the gun later, having the box on that old 70's gun paid for itself twice over. It was not even the original box, but it was the correct era and color box. Some collectors pay big money for boxes for their collection. If you do not believe old boxes sell, take a look at e-bay. Geez, now I remember the gun. Wish I had not sold it now!

RdKill, you must not have bought many used guns from pawn shops or even gun shops before. I get them all the time without the box. I also have a few Glock's that the numbers don't match either from factory frame swaps or from my own home brew builds. The horror RdKill, oh the horror. :rolleyes: With the exception of collector pieces the box holds little if any value and having it doesn't guarantee that a gun sold to you from an individual isn't stolen. Bad guys break into houses and steal whole collections, they break into gun stores and pawn shops and steal guns that are new in the box. The box and papers mean nothing. If it means that much to you just buy new guns from a dealer.

people also steal guns with their boxes from houses, i keep my guns with the original boxes/paper/locks(so i don't lose any of the stuff it came with)when not using them so if someone stole them from my house then they could take it all easy if they had the skill to break into my office and home

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom