• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Not sure how to start reloading.

Shilly

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
355   0
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been beat to death on here. I have searched through the first dozen pages with no clear clue of what I need I would like to reload a little, not so much to make the cheapest rounds that I can,but more to make a higher quality accurate ammo for the price of cheap target. I am only considering a couple of calibers to start. I am just not sure what equipment I am going to need. Any help or ideas are much appreciated. Thanks,Steve.

Buy a good quality reloading book to start with and read it front to back, then decide how much you need to invest for what you want to do, and how much volume you want to load, quality rifle rounds can be done on a good single stage press, if you want to load 1000s the think about a progressive press, A single stage is alot easier to master,,

Most basic form is
Prep brass, resize and prime, charge with correct powder and weight, seat projectile and crimp.
Test at the range with huge grin on your face.

Get the "lee anniversary press" kit. It's around $200 and comes with everything you need to start just about. Powder despensor, scale, primer, etc. just pickup a set of dies for the caliber you want.

It's the cheapest way to start. I've reloaded thousands of rounds with mine. It's single stage, but the trick is you do it in batches. Get a rhythem going.

As for learning the process, lyman manuals are IMO the best, but all the info is readily available over the net.

Reactions: BHJ
Buy a good quality reloading book to start with and read it front to back, then decide how much you need to invest for what you want to do, and how much volume you want to load, quality rifle rounds can be done on a good single stage press, if you want to load 1000s the think about a progressive press, A single stage is alot easier to master,,
Amen. Learn to take-off and land before you try barrel rolls

I echo the buy a manual and read it thoroughly, maybe twice.
this is the direction/explanation of process/parts, not the load data!
that way you will get a better idea of time involved and whether you want to move forward with any purchase.
then if possible find a mentor that already reloads and ask for advice/help.
avoid reloaders that are interested in turning out as many reloads as they possibly can in the shortest amount of time and those that try to make a 9 MM cartridge into a 357 Sig .

Back
Top Bottom