• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Odd ammo

Good thread. I like how y'all took the time to load up those pics of the bullets.
I like shooting wadcutters, although for cost savings and even less recoil I'd like to see more companies make affordable 100 or 120 grain all-lead wadcutters. 148 is a lot of lead just to throw through a paper target usually less than 20 yards away and at a leisurely speed of 750 f.p.s. Might as well do it with a shorter bullet and use 40% less lead.

Good thread. I like how y'all took the time to load up those pics of the bullets.
I like shooting wadcutters, although for cost savings and even less recoil I'd like to see more companies make affordable 100 or 120 grain all-lead wadcutters. 148 is a lot of lead just to throw through a paper target usually less than 20 yards away and at a leisurely speed of 750 f.p.s. Might as well do it with a shorter bullet and use 40% less lead.

If you are just punching paper or busting cans I agree. I had a mold for a 90 gr.wadcutter, and tried to develop a snake load with 3 of them. Decided the effort didn't justify the results. But the 90 grainer made for a neat little squib load.

For serious target work, the 148 gr. take advantage of the "shuttlecock effect" whatever the technical name for that is, and are more accurate.

I am speculating, but IMHO, "Wadcutters" fell out of fashion years back, due to the once-prevalent abundance of "CHEAP Range Ammo" that was made entirely of lead wire ... I know that I stopped using the stuff in favor of "rolling-my-own"! How do I know it was lead rod? I once pulled some of the stuff and found: NO Lube Groves whatsoever; just a rod of lead! No wonder the crap was leading my barrel and wouldn't shoot accurately! It would probably be kinda OK is the SOB's had at least swaged and lubed the stuff ... BUT, NO ... that would ruin their obscene profit margins!

Just my take on it ... other's experience may have differed ...

Good for protection too.

What I used to carry in my J frames.

They might not be effective on someone in the winter in heavy clothing, but otherwise I always felt those nice round holes weren't going to close up, and would take out a chunk of bone if they hit any. At normal wadcutter velocities, they were easy on the hand in a J frame.

For a semi-auto, you seat flush to just under flush with the case.
For a revolver you can do the same or seat to crimp groove--as appears to have been done here.
No issue with shooting in a revolver.

what the OP has is cast double ended wadcutters loaded for a 38 revolver as noted. they work ok out to maybe 25 yards as far as accuracy but no where close to the HB wadcutters at 25 or further out.. Used in the smith 52 and various 38 special 1911s over the years for Bullseye competition. they were flush seated due to the magazine size.

Don't see many used in BE these days although I just built one to play with

Back
Top Bottom