• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

out of state and step dad is giving me a pistol.

CFlaisch

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
20   0
Reaction score
So I'm back in my home state of MI. my step dad wants to give me one of his older 357s. I'm driving back to GA, can i bring it with me or do we have to ship it to an FFL? i know i can bring ammo home just not sure about pistols.

Cam

Leave it unloaded and put in the trunk would be my best guess.

I would also suggest a $1.00 purchase with a bill of sale to track you legal ownership (in case you get pulled over and strip searched).

I would also suggest a $1.00 purchase with a bill of sale to track you legal ownership (in case you get pulled over and strip searched).

Do NOT do this. It then becomes interstate commerce.

Q: May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)?
Yes. However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles generally may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e.g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting.

[18 U.S.C. 922(x)]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#gca-unlicensed-acquire

1: Gifts are allowed.
2: Why on God's green Earth would we want to self register?
3: Why would you want a document stating you bought a firearm across state lines?

The only thing I see that seems negative is this:

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?
A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

The use of the word "acquire" makes me think a gift still qualifies under this law. With the federal government I'd hate to even guess.

Transfer of ownership, regardless of who is giving/getting, across state lines requires the use of an FFL in the new owners state of residence.

The only compromise to this rule is if it is left to an out of state resident in a will, specifically naming the new owner in the will.

A "gift" is only applicable in an "in-state" transfer.

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom