• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

out of state and step dad is giving me a pistol.

Ah heck, I would unload it, put it in a box, place it in the trunk of the car, place a signed HAPPY BIRTHDAY card next to it, and go on your way. But, then that is just me!

LOL! Yeah. gift wrap it in a box. stuff it in a suitcase and "fugget aboutit"!

Who's going to know?
Who's going to care?
No one.

Just take the gun and say thank you. The ATF is not going to bust down your door just for receiving and inherited gift from your step father.

I wouldnt worry about the whole gift thing. I would be more worried about how to properly carry it back to GA. For all anyone knows it was yours to begin with.

I may look it back up later, but last time this topic came up I looked up the code AFAIR the federal regs allowed the loaning of a firearm for "sporting purposes" be transported across state lines (wanted to buy my retired Army stepdad a 1911 while they were in town over the holidays). My plan was to use this (if confirmed, I never) to allow him to get it back to the left coast until we could make it "legit".

It did not specify loan period and the definition of "sporting purposes" came up in at least one lawsuit due to its ambiguity. Maybe someone with more knowledge can clarify...

Exactly. It would be like me shipping a rifle to someone in Wyoming to hold for me until I arrive for my hunt.

Is it registered in the home state? Is he going to have to show it to prove he still has it?
Last I heard, Georgia didn't do registration.
Used to travel with guns and a bunch of shooting gear all over the East coast. Never got stopped once.
Keep it locked where you can't get to it.

Although unlikely to get caught, transferring ownership to a family member anyone else who resides in another state is illegal. However, loaners for sporting purposes (as noted above) are allowed without an FFL. I loaned my dad a AR-15 because he says he is thinking about taking up hunting small game. And I loaned my brother a Glock 19 because he says he wants to shoot in competitions. I thold them nboth that I would let know when I want them back.

From the ATF Firearms FAQ's:
Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

You need for him to fill out a rental agreement.

OR

I thought you brought that gun with you??

Back
Top Bottom