• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Purchased vehicle over 45 days ago, still no title and can't register it. What are my options?

Most likely did not have the title in their possession if the vehicle had a loan attached to it. Use your google fu there is a dealer licensing group or something of that nature that will be all over them for not getting the title in a timely manner.
That's what I'm thinking. I did look them up, and it looks like they take these matters very seriously. According to the interwebs, dealers are not supposed to put anything on the lot until a title is in their possession. Silly naïve me for assuming they did.

When I traded in my first truck, of course I didn't have the title in hand, it was somewhere at my parents and they had moved a few times. They took the trade and asked me to get the title to them. A couple days later my old truck was sitting on someone elses lot a few miles down the road for sale of course. So evidently they sold it without a title and the 2nd dealer was selling it without a title.

This sort of thing is not uncommon with car dealers. Technically they're not supposed to be driving around with their "dealer" tags on inventory on personal business either... but we know how that goes.
FWIW - and I used to hold a dealers license... Get a lawyer to write a letter. The bank that you financed through should be happy to help you get this escalated.

This sort of thing is not uncommon with car dealers. Technically they're not supposed to be driving around with their "dealer" tags on inventory on personal business either... but we know how that goes.
FWIW - and I used to hold a dealers license... Get a lawyer to write a letter. The bank that you financed through should be happy to help you get this escalated.
Thanks for the advice. I'll reach out to the bank again and look up some lawyers in the area that deal with this sort of thing.

Son had this happen to him with a "fly by night" dealer up around the Mall of GA, he went back to the dealer and they were already out of business.......talk about a cluster mess to straighten out. He finally got it squared away with some help from the local tag office.

Long story short, purchased a used truck mid September from a major dealer here in Macon. The temporary tag has already expired and I'm on an extension I got from the county tag office. If that expires the truck won't be legally registered. Called the tag office today and it looks like they still don't have anything in the system for it. She said to check back in a couple of weeks. Called dealer and they don't have an answer, except some mumbling about out of state title taking longer than usual, etc. that they would call me back later.

So my question is, GA says 30 days. I'm assuming they sold me a truck that they didn't have the title in their possession at the time of the deal because it was bought at auction. Technically it's illegal to do that but a lot of dealers do.

If it makes a difference it's financed through a local credit union who is aware of the situation since they are the lien holder and have to have the title in their possession.

What are my legal options at this point? Or do I have to wait it out and hope for the best? I'm just frustrated and the bank is on my butt about it too.
If the dealer can't give you the title, make them give you a new temporary tag

Thanks for the advice. I'll reach out to the bank again and look up some lawyers in the area that deal with this sort of thing.
My Parents used to teach us "Do whatever you can to stay away from a fight, try hard, find all the way to stay away. If you get into a fight, do whatever you can to stay in the fight till you win... - Now Just choose wisely!!"

So, there you have, choose wise the way to go. I would try to get as many temporary tags as it needs (maybe three, till you receive the real TAG and title if applicable)

Who was the dealer? I had a similar experience with Bill Holt in Blue Ridge. I would never buy anything else from them again. I had to go get emissions done to get a temp tag extended. The $20 was not what bothered me. It was the hassle. And everybody there was sorry except the Salesman. The title girls had a different story or excuse every day. Never returned a call and the POS GM never would return my call either. County Tag office told me no more extensions and we would have to park the car the day it expired and another temp could not be issued. The title literally finally came in the day the last temp tag was expiring.

Work your way up the food chain to get someone in management and explain you expect a solution immediately. If they can not give you one tell them your banks attorney will be in touch.

There is no benefit for the dealer to not process the title since you are dealing with a large dealer I would bet the title is out of state and I would not worry about it. They can probably get you another tag or if not tell them to give you a loaner car you don’t need an attorney.

Yeah I was able to get another temporary tag, but the county tag office said this is the only and last extension. Then the truck is technically unregistered in their book. I have the rest of this month. But what worried me was they don't see anything in their systems to indicate the dealer has transferred the title to me and the lienholder. When I call the dealer I get the runaround and they say they'll call me back. Which they don't. Really just pissing me off about the lack of communication. If they ****ed up then just tell me and say they're working on it. Instead it's oh we need to dig in to it and call you back. That tells me somebody dropped the ball there since they won't give me a solid answer.

Back
Top Bottom