• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Purchased vehicle over 45 days ago, still no title and can't register it. What are my options?

Make them buy it back. Inform them when you'll be there, so they can have payment in full ready

This.

There is no "system" for it to get hung up in. The dealer is legally obligated to give you a title, they haven't done so, they have breached the contract - demand a full refund of your money, pay off the credit union. If they bought if from an auction and didn't get a title, that's there problem, not yours. A legit auction requires you to have the title in hand to run it through the auction so this crap doesn't happen.

It's a crime to not deliver the title. O.C.G.A. § 40-3-32.

f the transferor willfully fails to deliver the properly assigned certificate of title to the transferee, the transferor shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. In addition, the transferor shall be civilly liable to the transferee for all damages, including reasonable attorney's fees, occasioned by the transferor's failure to comply with this subsection.

Deliver a letter, refer to this code section, ask them whose name you should have put on the warrant. Tell you will wait a few minutes before you go to the courthouse.

Emphasize the language about attorney fees. That will add on $5K easily.

Also, even if they come up with the title, file a complaint with Georgia State Board of Registration of Used Motor Vehicle Dealers and Used Motor Vehicle Parts Dealers

Footnore: If you had bounced the check you used to buy the car, how long would they give you to make it good? Tell them the money is "in the system" and see how they react.

Update - too many folks to reply too but I appreciate all of the feedback and suggestions. Since they are not being helpful I'll put them on blast, it's Butler Toyota in Macon. I'll be honest, this is not what I expected from them having purchased previous Toyotas, including my wife's from them. In total we've purchased 3 vehicles from them over the years.

I called the tag office today about a week since I went down there. They said the dealer still hasn't processed my paperwork and that I need to contact the dealer ASAP. Going to demand an answer today when I get a break from work meetings. I asked the tag office what does that mean they haven't processed the paperwork, she said they haven't applied for the title in my name yet. So going on 60 days and they still haven't done anything.

I'll be working the return the truck to them angle. And contacting the Dept of Revenue Commissioners office as well.

Update - too many folks to reply too but I appreciate all of the feedback and suggestions. Since they are not being helpful I'll put them on blast, it's Butler Toyota in Macon. I'll be honest, this is not what I expected from them having purchased previous Toyotas, including my wife's from them. In total we've purchased 3 vehicles from them over the years.

I called the tag office today about a week since I went down there. They said the dealer still hasn't processed my paperwork and that I need to contact the dealer ASAP. Going to demand an answer today when I get a break from work meetings. I asked the tag office what does that mean they haven't processed the paperwork, she said they haven't applied for the title in my name yet. So going on 60 days and they still haven't done anything.

I'll be working the return the truck to them angle. And contacting the Dept of Revenue Commissioners office as well.
IMO, they don't have a clear title and cannot get one. I'd be suspecting that car has been wrecked and insurance paid off on it and then it was repaired and they can't get a non-salvage title on it to sell as unwrecked.. 60 days and no action from the dealer means you're wasting your time with them. Go full government on them.

IMO, they don't have a clear title and cannot get one. I'd be suspecting that car has been wrecked and insurance paid off on it and then it was repaired and they can't get a non-salvage title on it to sell as unwrecked.. 60 days and no action from the dealer means you're wasting your time with them. Go full government on them.
I was assuming out of state or auction and didn't do their due diligence on getting proper paperwork and title. Carfax doesn't show any wrecks but who knows you may be right. But not keeping in contact with me or telling me what's going on means exactly what you said, full gubmt on them.

I was assuming out of state or auction and didn't do their due diligence on getting proper paperwork and title. Carfax doesn't show any wrecks but who knows you may be right. But not keeping in contact with me or telling me what's going on means exactly what you said, full gubmt on them.
I had a 2012 full option Explorer the wife drove and then wrecked hitting a car when pulling out onto a main road. I was expecting a high repair bill but the insurance company up and just totaled it and paid me the 10 grand and then they sold it to an auction company in Oklahoma. They made a big deal about getting the title and BOTH sets of keys and remotes. Looking back, the insurance company made their money they paid me back selling it to the auction company and then it got sold or a good chunk of money wrecked. It's probably out there right now on the road somewhere. New car prices are SO high and high-end used car/truck prices are at an all-time premium. But I bet you somewhere in all the mess that followed is a BURIED salvage title and the car got passed off as unwrecked....

Back
Top Bottom