• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question

Stuckon22

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Look a Man Straight in His Hairy Eyeball!
238   0
Reaction score
Any hunters here use a handgun for deer. I have taken them with recurve, compound, crossbow, black powder, and rifles. Going to try this year to do something different. Any input on experience or information is appreciated. I will be shooting a single shot 6.5 creedmoor. Thanks.

I don't know of what help this might be. You were successful with recurve , same basic 2 things : proficiency with the tool and use your hunting ability to be able to use it.
I am not the best hunter or the best handgunner but I have managed to get it done many times. You have to try to be as wary as they are to movement and sound to get a nice shot,or quick and deadly. Just shoot that thing till you feel ready and it will be easy. I quit bow hunting when I was young because I lost one to a bad hit. So you are already better off because I'll bet you shot a bow alot before you went hunting.

What distances would you shoot from, with that 6.5 Creedmoor single-shot pistol?

I had a T/C contender with a .30-30 Win barrel, and after a bunch of testing (but no actual hunting) with it, I decided that it would be a good deer-killer out to 100 yards IF I put a better scope on it. My scope was a cheap, dim, 1.5X thing.

My cousin killed several deer with handguns in western NY state, where the deer are fat from eating corn and soy and other crops. It is against the law in those counties to hunt big game with high-powered rifles. Shotguns with slugs, or buckshot, are the only long guns allowed. And muzzle-loaders. And pistols. So he tried slug-shotgun hunting and pistol hunting.

For pistols, he used a 5" barreled model 1911 with a red dot optic, and also a Rossi or Taurus .357 magnum revolver, 8" barrel, open sights. He could keep 5" groups at 25 yards with either gun.
He shot all the deer from 40 yards or less. Basically, archery range.
The deer died quickly and the postmortem exam showed wound channels going almost all the way through their torsos on the broadside shots.

I took an average size doe with a 357 using Deer Stopper ammo from Georgia Arms. Turned in to an all day search for the deer. I did find it. Skinning and prossesing gave me a close look at the wound. I was not impressed with penetration and it certainly didn't knock down. It was a shot in the neck mind you!!!!

I took an average size doe with a 357 using Deer Stopper ammo from Georgia Arms. Turned in to an all day search for the deer. I did find it. Skinning and prossesing gave me a close look at the wound. I was not impressed with penetration and it certainly didn't knock down. It was a shot in the neck mind you!!!!
Yeah, I've always felt a 357 was too light for deer. Especially from a handgun.

I'll be hunting with a .44 Mag this year, but the shots are going to have to be close (30 yards or less), not because of accuracy, but due to energy loss at greater distance. I'm also concerned about proper bullet expansion at lower velocity. I'll probably never carry it as my exclusive weapon. I'll have a deer rifle with me and use the pistol if the right opportunity presents itself and I'll have it when I'm small game hunting just in case.

Back
Top Bottom