• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Replacing Military Medals and Ribbons

We did this for my father whose some was destroyed in a fire. Although it was great getting most of them there still quite a few that was not. Luckily we had 2 of the 4 that was not "reconized" and ended up finding his Silver Star (poor military records from the 'Nam era). The replacements were not as nice but we do not look a gift horse in the mouth.

We too made a shadow box with his flag for my nephew who followed his grandfathers footsteps.

Thanks to all his brothers and sisters.

Thanks so much for the info on old awards.

My grandfather served in WWII in the navy. At his funeral he declined to have the honor guard and flag presentation. Like so many who served, he simply felt it was his duty and he didn’t deserve any recognition for it.

Last year we surprised my grandmother with a family reunion (all three of their daughters, multiple grand and great-grandkids) at this graveside. We had an honor guard who played taps, presented and folded a flag. It was the first time since he is death many of us had been to that cemetery. 18 years after he passed getting the Navy detachment there was simple and easy.

This thread gave me the idea of getting his awards and decorations. We’re going to put them in a shadow box with his rank/insignia and give them to Grandmother for Christmas.

Thanks so much for the info on old awards.

My grandfather served in WWII in the navy. At his funeral he declined to have the honor guard and flag presentation. Like so many who served, he simply felt it was his duty and he didn’t deserve any recognition for it.

Last year we surprised my grandmother with a family reunion (all three of their daughters, multiple grand and great-grandkids) at this graveside. We had an honor guard who played taps, presented and folded a flag. It was the first time since he is death many of us had been to that cemetery. 18 years after he passed getting the Navy detachment there was simple and easy.

This thread gave me the idea of getting his awards and decorations. We’re going to put them in a shadow box with his rank/insignia and give them to Grandmother for Christmas.
Without a doubt the best thing I have read this week on the ODT! I thank the good Lord for men like your Grandfather.

Anybody got a line for replacing insignia and rank from WWII?

Granddad’s medals and ribbons arrived a few weeks back. We got a shadow box for them, and are trying to find his rank (Chief Storekeeper) and an correct USN pin. What would a chief have had on his uniform back then?

Reactions: GFB
Anybody got a line for replacing insignia and rank from WWII?

Granddad’s medals and ribbons arrived a few weeks back. We got a shadow box for them, and are trying to find his rank (Chief Storekeeper) and an correct USN pin. What would a chief have had on his uniform back then?

You are going to have to find a historian or work your google foo. Most of those Great Men are gone now. I hope you post pics when you get it done.

Reactions: GFB
Very cool!

My Dad found a box of medals on the side of the road next to our old hunting property a few years ago. He searched around until he finally found the man's family and returned the medals, including a purple heart and bronze star. The Douglas County Sentinel did a write up on it, but I can't post it because I have to pay to subscribe. BUT, here is a brief history of the man.
https://www.honorstates.org/index.php?id=280808

We never heard how his medals came to be on the side of the road, but we were very glad to locate his family and return them, and they were extremely grateful to my Dad for his efforts. The man died in Vietnam, 1969...

We are trying get dd214 for my father as his was lost in house fire! He wouldn’t talk much about his military service. Know he was in France as military police in 1944 with rank of sgt but very little else that I could get him to talk about! He talked about being on ship going over and how rough weather was as it was in November!

We are trying get dd214 for my father as his was lost in house fire! He wouldn’t talk much about his military service. Know he was in France as military police in 1944 with rank of sgt but very little else that I could get him to talk about! He talked about being on ship going over and how rough weather was as it was in November!
Yeah we had to do the same thing. The Nat’ Archives took a while, but they sent us his WHOLE file. It was interesting to read up on it all.

One of my best friends found all his medals in hims mom’s attic when she passed. He won’t talk about the stars...I understand.
upload_2019-3-16_23-27-46.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom