• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scammers

Blade75769

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
10   0
Reaction score
Be aware there appears to be a new batch of scammers that have joined the site. I posted looking for a specific scope and got a few messages from brand new members claiming their "friend" had a scope and to just email them since they weren't on the site. The one "friend" was supposedly in California and willing to ship. It smelt fishy, but I followed it down the rabbit hole. They tried to get me to send money to multiple Venmo accounts that were flagged and then asked to send money on Paypal but only friends and family. Needless to say I didn't fall for it. Be careful out there!!

Be aware there appears to be a new batch of scammers that have joined the site. I posted looking for a specific scope and got a few messages from brand new members claiming their "friend" had a scope and to just email them since they weren't on the site. The one "friend" was supposedly in California and willing to ship. It smelt fishy, but I followed it down the rabbit hole. They tried to get me to send money to multiple Venmo accounts that were flagged and then asked to send money on Paypal but only friends and family. Needless to say I didn't fall for it. Be careful out there!!
Oldest trick in the book,

I got the same one yeasterday about 10 min after I posted the Jericho. Ans it’s Amazon the always show a pic of a Glock ans it’s always missing at least a magazine box papers

I once posted an ad here saying I wanted to buy a certain make and model of firearm which was entirely fictitious-- I made that gun up (it was vaporware, a fantasy).

ODT mods took it down very soon after, before I could get a bite from a scammer offering to sell me one of those things, if I'd just send some cryptocurrency funds to some anonymous third-party.

Don't tell me you almost sent it to or tried to send to those Venmo accounts before they tried to get you to do Paypal... If so, I'd be changing all your account login info ASAP. A lot of those "flagged" Venmo links are just to harvest credentials, etc. NEVER EVER EVER click on links from untrusted people/sources. Hopefully you didn't click anything they sent you.

Don't tell me you almost sent it to or tried to send to those Venmo accounts before they tried to get you to do Paypal... If so, I'd be changing all your account login info ASAP. A lot of those "flagged" Venmo links are just to harvest credentials, etc. NEVER EVER EVER click on links from untrusted people/sources. Hopefully you didn't click anything they sent you.
Nah, I never click on unknown links. They sent me their Venmo name. When it would go through I called Venmo and they confirmed the account was flagged

did me the same way. I told the guy to eat **** and die

The worst thing you can do with those accounts is obviously send them funds, but the second worst is any kind of a reply to a post or PM, even if its telling them to eat **** and die. Any kind of a reponse is positive as far as they're concerned, and only makes the problem worse.

Don't interact with them in any way. Just report the account and move on.

Back
Top Bottom