• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School me on bicycles

Gunanddoglover

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Dog Father
315   0
Reaction score
Gwinnett, trailer park of the Milky Way Galaxy
I'm thinking about cycling for exercise I have been using a stationary bike for 2 years its convenient, but it's boring. I live 2.5 miles from work so that would be my primary use, however I would like the option of using it on trails. I have no idea where to start or what to look for so please help me out I don't want to be at the mercy of a dimwit sailing bikes. Cost is a factor, but I have no idea what a decent bike cost. I'm 62 in good health and decent physical condition still on my original equipment knees.
Thanks for the input

A couple of years ago the Mrs and I picked up a couple Treks, I use a Marlin and she has a Verve. We like them and can pretty much go anywhere a recreational cyclist wants to go. Almost every town in the US has some kind of bike trail nearby so we enjoy taking them pretty much everywhere we go. I noticed the prices have gone up about 100-150 on the two models we have, but I have no complaints with the brand and there are several stores in the Atlanta area that carry them and service them. That also applies to Specialized and Giant if they have a model you like better.

They have a model called the Dual Sport that might suit your needs, the Mrs, Verve is very comfortable also. My marlin is a pretty decent entry level mountain bike for mild trails etc,

You should be able to find something for under 1K. You can get a cheap bike but there is a difference if you step up a bit, mainly the frame size, most bikes you buy in Walmart, Academy etc are one one size. The brands that don't sell to big box stores have multiple frame sizes available to fit your body size etc.

11046733_10153101044572156_1329951942052892862_n.jpg

Buy a good quality bike, meaning don't fall for the cheaper models which will make the biking experience horrible. I would recommend Appalachee Cycle. Bruce is the owner and a good guy who won't steer you wrong. He used to have his shop in downtown Dacula, but moved it to where more mountain bikers are in Winder.

Ok ok. All I know is they have 2 wheels. You have to balance those things. And when intoxicated that can be tricky. The petal thingys go around and around. The faster they go the faster you go... sometimes. And make sure the brakes work. But on the good note. You can ride on the road and have the same rights as a car. So if you really want to piss folks off. Ride in the middle of the lane. Hope this helps

I've been hurt far worse on a bicycle than a motorcycle. That said my last crash was on a stationary bike.......LOL.....Just kidding on the last one......I've put a lot of miles on bikes. Haven't road in some time at this point. For over all riding, the mountain bike is strongly recommended. Get one with a seat post and front fork suspension. That mono shock is mostly a down hill bike. Pumping the pedals on one of these isn't very efficient. Also get yourself some gel type gloves to soak up the vibration. You'll love all the gears you have on a mountain bike. Makes pedaling easy on the hills. Georgia not being a very level state. Also I like the trigger switch gear shifting. Makes it easy and quick. Get one with steel sprockets, they'll last a lot longer. Go to a specialized bike store, you don't want a Walmart special on this one. Nothing but problems if you ride a lot.

Ok ok. All I know is they have 2 wheels. You have to balance those things. And when intoxicated that can be tricky. The petal thingys go around and around. The faster they go the faster you go... sometimes. And make sure the brakes work. But on the good note. You can ride on the road and have the same rights as a car. So if you really want to piss folks off. Ride in the middle of the lane. Hope this helps
I was pulled over by the cops when I was 21 for roller skating under the influence. Small town of 2200 people, they let me go with the understanding I was not expected to make it home without being hit by a car. 41 years later I'm still here, F those Barny Fife inbred a-holes and their mommy sisters.

Back
Top Bottom