• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Social Security Administration Requests Massive Amounts of .357 Ammo

For real? Am I crazy to think this doesnt make sense that Social Security would have trained officers.......what do they police? The elderly collecting? House searches for geritol?

Almost every govt agency has an enforcement group, they are federal agents/police..Social Security's enforcement section would investigate criminal fraud within the system, criminal acts by employees and criminal fraud and conspiracy to illegally obtain Social Security funds.
The people that commit theses crimes are criminals, criminals can be dangerous and violent..hence armed investigators.

I have a friend who works for TIGTA. What is that? It is the U.S. Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA). What the heck? Yes, he is an investigator who investigates crimes committed by IRS agents. He is issued a firearm because he works in a law enforcement capacity. Who would have known. He also can fly on an airplane with a concealed weapon and does regularly because he is a Federal Agent.

Social security has armed officers? That's news to me. I don't care to speculate much further.

Updated:
http://oig.ssa.gov/about-oig

It appears the OIG investigates government fraud and abuse. I can see why of their 600 employees some need to be armed.

Updated again:
A 174,000 rounds total that comes out to around 290 rounds per person in the OIG. Granted a bunch are just technophiles or office staff.

Last edited:
Most Federal Agencies (at least in the past) shoot the same ammo for qualification and tactical training as they use for carry....therefore all the ammo is bought at the same time in bulk..the more you buy, the less it costs.
The ammo is used not only for issue to carry and re-qualification several times per year but each agency provides the ammo to the training centers for new agents..as classes are constantly ongoing, ample supplies for students must be stockpiled at the training center for immediate access.

State agencies have 100's of 1000's of rounds in storage for the same purposes , local agencies of any size have 10's to 100's of 1,000's etc.
When you realize the size of the organizations and the way the ammo is used in training and qualification, though the media makes it sound dramatic, it isn't unusual at all.

The general media of today will dramatize and embellish to sensationalize a subject totally out of context to get you to read and watch their programs to further their agenda and yes they all have an agenda.
They don't concern themselves with accuracy, or truth..unfortunately.
They just want you hanging on a thread, to come back after commercial or read the next issue or article.....that's how they make money and push their agenda, whatever it may be.

Social security has armed officers? That's news to me. I don't care to speculate much further.

So does DOD, DOT, DOE, D of Ed., Dept of Ag, Dept of Int., FDA and on and on....almost all Fed. agencies have leo's to enforce federal statutes that govern the agency's specific area of responsibility....all of them are federal agents however and can make arrests for violation of any federal statute

So does DOD, DOT, DOE, D of Ed., Dept of Ag, Dept of Int., FDA and on and on....almost all Fed. agencies have leo's to enforce federal statutes that govern the agency's specific area of responsibility....all of them are federal agents however and can make arrests for violation of any federal statute

I went hunting and located the OIG and now understand why they need the ammo, seeking out government corruption can be hazardous to one's health.

I learned something interesting today. Thanks for the thread comments.

Just a thought I wonder if they are looking into "Fast and Furious".

Last edited:
I wonder if these agencies have self-directed to stock up or if there is a common origin point for the order to do so. If they are self-directing then they orders seem more coincidental and innocuous. If there is a central directive, however, there could be serious implications.

Let's say there is an administration initiated buy order with the goal of either impacting the supply ahead of foreseeable shortage or in anticipation of a federal agency wide need for additional supplies. One could be of concern when put in context with the reports of possible import license non-renewals; say the government is trying to corner the market to some extent reducing the number available to the public ahead of government created shortages. It would also go a long way towards reducing the supply which would increase the price...supply/demand=price.

On the other hand this could be a problem in context with all the conspiracies regarding government martial law etc. Which, when one considers the thugs we have in office these days and how they play politics it just may be possible to conceive of some pretexts ro suspend "normal" operations in order to maintain power. Then too, depending on how things go in November there may be some legitimate reason for the federal agencies to be WELL-stocked.

The ammo is being sent directly to the field offices which means they have trained and certified employees that are now carrying. They're a Federal Agency that's now armed it's investigative employees. I wish I could afford to buy or work at a place that supplied me with .357 sig ammo.

The ammo is being sent directly to the field offices which means they have trained and certified employees that are now carrying. They're a Federal Agency that's now armed it's investigative employees. I wish I could afford to buy or work at a place that supplied me with .357 sig ammo.

I have but they don't just put on a shelf so you can go get whenever you want.....a supervisor issues it out as needed, carry ammo is usually re issued after range activity.
On the range you shoot your previously issued ammo first, then you are issued whatever it takes to finish the training, then you are issued new carry ammo.that way you always have fresh ammo in your weapon.

Back
Top Bottom