• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

SP2022 Torture test

The only fault, if you can call it that, I could find with mine was that the bore axis is ridiculously high. This causes muzzle flip on the 40 and accuracy decreases as the magazine empties. The trigger is smooth, fit and finish are awesome and reliability has never been a concern.

I liked the fact that the SP2022 9mm did not have a loaded chamber indicator. I liked the look of the smooth unbroken top of the slide verses the .40cal. My 9mm also has Sig night sights and the .40 had standard sights. I have a P229r duty gun and I don't think its any better of a gun than the SP.

Mine is a .40 and has the internal extractor and no LCI. It also came with Sig Lite night sights. I agree not seeing an extractor or LCI makes for a very clean looking slide.

The cleaner looking slides with the internal extractor are German made slides. The US slide has the external short extractor and can either have the LCI or not. The LCI option seems to come and go. Personally I don't like it. My older SP2022 9mm (Gen 1), has the LCI and it snags when going into the holster.

Last edited:
The only fault, if you can call it that, I could find with mine was that the bore axis is ridiculously high. This causes muzzle flip on the 40 and accuracy decreases as the magazine empties. The trigger is smooth, fit and finish are awesome and reliability has never been a concern.

That is a problem with even the classic P series Sig's. They sit high in the hand. The SP2022 even though it is polymer is still heavy. The P229 is only about a ounce and half heavier. So shooting .40 or .357 Sig out of the SP2022 is not like shooting .40 and .357 Sig out of some other polymer handguns like the Glock. The SP2022 handles the recoil well.

.357sig out of my G31 is a sharp recoil but not to bad. I never fired .357 out of my SP or P229r. I wouldn't mind getting a .357sig barrel for the P229r just to try it.

.357sig out of my G31 is a sharp recoil but not to bad. I never fired .357 out of my SP or P229r. I wouldn't mind getting a .357sig barrel for the P229r just to try it.

Something I want really bad over here but Sig USA seems to have no interest in bringing over here is the SPC 2022. It has been available over in Europe since the mid 2000s when the SP2022 was first released. The SPC 2022 is smaller than the P229 and lighter, (7.0x5.31x1.38 vs 7.1x5.4x5.7 and 28oz vs 32oz). This would put this pistol into the same size category as the Glock 19/23. The SP2022 is a pistol that Sig could have some real success with too over here if they wanted to. Releasing a DAK, DAO and SRT version as well as developing a striker fired version and Sig could really compete with the Glock and M&P in the law enforcement market. Cohen and Co at Sig USA only seem to be interested in making show guns, not working guns so for now it all just a pipe dream.

SPC 2022
i57.tinypic.com_15yg4kw.png

SP2022
i59.tinypic.com_2it0t43.png

http://www.sigsauer.de/deutsch/sport/gebrauchspistolen_old/sp2022.html#

Here is a good side by side of the SPC2009 and the SP2009, the 2009/2340 series was the previous version of the Sig Pro line before the SP2022. Size wise they are the same and share a lot of the same parts. The SP2022 is just an improved model with better safety features and a rail.

i180.photobucket.com_albums_x72_sig226navy_sigpros.jpg

It doesn't look like that big of a difference but every bit helps when concealing. I wish there were a side by side with the P229.

The price is so low that it dilutes the margins. That's why no marketing support, no stocking of parts, no introduction of new models. They don't want you to buy the Sig pro at $350 (I've seen them this low before). They want you to buy a 220/6/9/7 @ $800.

The price is so low that it dilutes the margins. That's why no marketing support, no stocking of parts, no introduction of new models. They don't want you to buy the Sig pro at $350 (I've seen them this low before). They want you to buy a 220/6/9/7 @ $800.

When the first SP2022s first arrived over here in the mid 2000s, they were not cheap. Cheap by Sig standards yes, but they went for the average price of around $500. I have heard that the SP2022 was forced on Sig USA. Cohen and Sig USA don't like the SP2022 because it directly competed with Cohen's P250. For awhile when the P250 was struggling Sig USA stopped selling the SP2022 and even removed it from the website claiming it had been discontinued. For awhile it was gone, then it came back. Now with a new frame and what was supposed to be a new slide with an external extractor that shared the same design as the classic P series pistols. The SP2022 sold so well that the new frames were mated with older German made slides that still have the internal extractor and come with or without an LCI just to keep up with demand. The price on the SP2022 when they first came back was around $450 and slowly trickled down to the low point of $350. They have started to push back up and the average going rate for an SP2022 with night sights and a single mag is around $450 out the door.

I don't know why Sig USA doesn't support the SP2022 like they should. Like above I can only speculate and assume it is a pistol that interferes with current Sig USA marketing strategy. Cohen is running Sig much the same way he ran Kimber and we all see how well that went. Kimber went from having a great reputation to a less than good reputation. By the time Cohen left Kimber was making nothing but show pony guns. Neglecting the customers who prefer function over form. This trend has been ongoing at Sig USA for some time now. Having shot the P320 I can say it is a very good striker fired gun but for me the question is why even bother with the P250 and P320 when they have a model that can be just as modular, plays tribute to the classic P series line and would solidly place Sig into the law enforcement poly gun market.

I can't stand the slide lock on the P22x series guns. It sits in the absolute worst place for me and the way I grip really high on the gun. The P250/320 slide lock is in a more comfortable place for me.

I wish Sig would take a day...maybe two and figure out a way to produce magazines in a more efficient/economical way so they don't break the bank. Us American shooters like lots of mags dammit.

Back
Top Bottom