• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stainless steel guide rod for Glocks

sinac84

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
187   0
Reaction score
Is it worth it or not? If you have a stainless steel guide rod in your Glock then did you buy it for peace-of-mind or did something happen to the plastic one that made you have to change it? From the little bit of Google-ing that I've done its kinda 50/50. I've even seen the YouTube video of a stock guide rod breaking after a 1000 rd torture test (nothing I plan on doing to my 36) and the gun still cycled as if nothing happened. I've read that it can improve accuracy because it doesn't flex like the stock ones do, any opinions on that?

Thanks!

I broke a guide rod in 2005 on a 1991 G17 with thousands of rounds down range and wasn't even aware of it right away. It still shot and operated fine. It cost me $5 to replace in 2005. How many $5 guide rods can I buy to equal the cost of one stainless? The double spring is perhaps a different issue. My G36 is still going strong but not a high round on it.

Last edited:
I put them in all of my Glocks. I like how smooth it makes the slide feel during operation. I usually buy the Brass Stacker brand off of Ebay for around $20 shipped. I feel a difference racking and firing.

Anyone using the $350 laser ones?

LOL!
Just say NO to the gizmos! They will work for a little while then break. Glock designed the recoil rod to flex on purpose. When you fire the gun, the frame flexes. The steel recoil rods that are not designed by glock can and may actually cause more issues than they help. YMMV. Personnally I leave my glock fairly stock save the connector and springs.

LOL!
Just say NO to the gizmos! They will work for a little while then break. Glock designed the recoil rod to flex on purpose. When you fire the gun, the frame flexes. The steel recoil rods that are not designed by glock can and may actually cause more issues than they help. YMMV. Personnally I leave my glock fairly stock save the connector and springs.

I don't care for lasers... The flex in the guide rod makes sense. I'd already replaced the connector with a 3.5lb, and added Lightning Strike striker and safety plunger. The trigger pull is (IMO) alot better and smoother than stock.The guide rod was the last modification I was looking to do.

Back
Top Bottom