• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Steel core 5.45×39 ammo has now been banned

Is this where I get to say I told you so? I remember saying I'd never own a 5.45 for this exact reason and erry one called me crazy.

I don't think so. The equipment cost is miniscule compared to the savings in ammo cost. Plus anyone serious about this caliber should have it stacked deep, all surplus ammo will dry up one day. I have more than enough 5.45 stacked up to shoot out all my 5.45 barrels, and the most I paid was 13 CPR to my door.

For my AR's in this cal I will simply buy a 5.56 barrel and bolt after I have melted the barrel shooting a 5.56 clone at 1/3 the price.

Last edited:
img.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_29_duregy4e.jpg

:lol:

Is this where I get to say I told you so? I remember saying I'd never own a 5.45 for this exact reason and erry one called me crazy.
You told me what? That I would save thousands upon thousands of dollars over the past umteen years with minimal investment? Yeah, that was really stupid of me. :wacko: Like Zombie said I have enough crates of 7n6 stacked in the stock pile to shoot out my barrel a couple times over. I knew 7N6 wouldn't last forever but I had hoped it would dry up in its own, not go away with the stroke of a pen. Even if I shoot up all I have I can still buy commercial ammo or as Zombie said I can rebarell in 5.56.

What will 5.45 cost in the future without the surplus stuff? You can only charge do much when there's 17¢ stuff available. I think it'll be higher than 762 since there's so many fewer people that shoot it.

Had AK74's in the shopping cart a few times over the last couple weeks... Glad I decided on the 7.62x39 Vepr instead.... When all you pros get this cleared up, let me know... Maybe I will get a 74 when they are selling less than a Mosin.....

Had AK74's in the shopping cart a few times over the last couple weeks... Glad I decided on the 7.62x39 Vepr instead.... When all you pros get this cleared up, let me know... Maybe I will get a 74 when they are selling less than a Mosin.....

They will never go that low. There is still 5.45 ammo to be had. Just no surplus.

I had been thinking of pulling the trigger on a 74 for a few months now - the ammo was cheap for target practice (compared to 223), I wanted an AK and a 74 was just "different" enough to make me want it. (Plus all the good reviews helped too)
I even thought of buying a crate or two before my rifle, just to have it for when I could find a good deal on a 74. Now I wish I had ...

I hope that things settle down - this is crazy. Can't find 22LR at a reasonable price to go plinking with, the inexpensive 5.45 has all been bought up, and 223/5.56 is still pricey. Blarg.

You told me what? That I would save thousands upon thousands of dollars over the past umteen years with minimal investment? Yeah, that was really stupid of me. :wacko: Like Zombie said I have enough crates of 7n6 stacked in the stock pile to shoot out my barrel a couple times over. I knew 7N6 wouldn't last forever but I had hoped it would dry up in its own, not go away with the stroke of a pen. Even if I shoot up all I have I can still buy commercial ammo or as Zombie said I can rebarell in 5.56.
I really could care less as I was simply stirring the pot. Honestly though it sucks that this happened as the result of a dumbass company.

Back
Top Bottom